Planning for a Hermann's

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
Right this is just a rough sketch. Uvb will need to be a little higher. So either along the top edge of the tank, shining down, or it could be secured to the lid.

It’s not so much a table, but a stand to set the stock tank into, yes it fits snugly inside, i got it from a picture on amazon where someone uses it as a bath for their dogs, but has it on the stand to help from bending over, will add picture. This isn’t an immediate requirement, but something I may look into.

Yes I hope to grow plants. But they don’t have to be inside the enclosure, and I’m not relying on them to. As many have mentioned I’d likely rotate them out, with tortoise food growing outside of the enclosure for regular feeding. Inside I plan to use the potted plant method to allow for some live plants to contribute towards shade.

The lamp won’t be hung from cord. It has the place for hooking and I’ll secure chain or zip tie.

I haven’t looked at prices for pvc, plastic, or wood, and they’ll vary slightly depending on if I do lid flush to top, or over the top.

Tank $60
Substrate $20~?
Pvc/plastic/adhesive $20-30~? (Guessing)
Lamp fixture, tube fixture, $28 (owned)
Chain/zip tie <$5
UVB tube and flood light bulb <$20
2 pack smart plug, wifi enabled, timers $19
Hide, shade, basking, plant, etc $20-30

Plywood(maybe later than sooner) $20-50 (I’ve never purchased wood but assume it won’t take a ton).

Minimally, I think it’ll cost about 190 without a stand. Maximally, if I got some expensive wooden materials, about $250.

I do aim to be frugal, and don’t have to build stand right now. My assumption is that it can be more cost effective than 190 total. I think substrate, interior decor, and the lid materials can be cheaper than I’ve estimated - simply haven’t shopped for them yet.

Pew just waking up, have a good day! Thanks!

The stand for the stock tank, while practical because it can be easily removed, may have exposed areas and cracks where the stock tank and table meet. This may create an issue with heat and humidity escaping if you are planning on building a frame that is going to sit on the wooden table.

Now if you're going to build a frame that sits on top of the stock tank, the issue with the table and stock tank no longer applies. This is what I would do. Build a frame with PVC pipes, cut half pipes as supporting legs that sit on the top of the stock tank. Line the cut half pipes with something like a foam water noodle so that it will sit on the stock tank without sliding.

Seal the stock tank with a clear plastic film. Tape the edge of the stock tank and support legs together with the rest of the frame. Place a zipper lock on one of the sides that will be frequently used. Make sure the spot is well positioned.

I think it's going to be over $200 with everything in place.

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
The stand for the stock tank, while practical because it can be easily removed, may have exposed areas and cracks where the stock tank and table meet. This may create an issue with heat and humidity escaping if you are planning on building a frame that is going to sit on the wooden table.

Now if you're going to build a frame that sits on top of the stock tank, the issue with the table and stock tank no longer applies. This is what I would do. Build a frame with PVC pipes, cut half pipes as supporting legs that sit on the top of the stock tank. Line the cut half pipes with something like a foam water noodle so that it will sit on the stock tank without sliding.

Seal the stock tank with a clear plastic film. Tape the edge of the stock tank and support legs together with the rest of the frame. Place a zipper lock on one of the sides that will be frequently used. Make sure the spot is well positioned.

I think it's going to be over $200 with everything in place.

Thanks for your insights!

Minor update, will be getting a Western instead of Dalmatian (Eastern)!

Almost off work for the day, hope to acquire the tank, and start building the frame for lid this evening if possible!
I do think it’s more practical without the stand for now.

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
Picking up substrate, pins for the sides, and plants/seeds tomorrow! Likely some hydro rocks for the bottom layer, and maybe some earthworms. Also looking for a good hide! Got some sphagnum moss today!

Having something physical and together is really exciting. The lid... I mean the light box, haha; is quite large but I’m excited for the potential. It’s almost like a big lamp now. Once there’s dirt, plants, and a colorful little tortoise inside, I’m excited to see how the light reflects and silhouettes from external view! Like a whole different world in there.

Last edited:

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
Just have to attach plastic to sides, and put his little hide in, and done! Whenever we replace the plastic I’ll likely take a few inches off the height of lid haha, maybe get a clear plastic for the top. Grass should sprout soon!

IMG_1121.jpgIMG_1122.jpgIMG_1144.jpgIMG_1123.jpgIMG_1125.jpgIMG_1129.jpgIMG_1130.jpgIMG_1540775921.808659.jpg

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
Doing relentless temperature checks.

Basking spot is reading 100F max, going to raise it another inch or so before the baby arrives. So far it’s still maintaining 30%+ humidity under the heat lamp, I think this is a good sign, though it’ll obviously dry out over the day. That said, I’ve added very little moisture to substrate at this point. (It was decently damp to begin with.)

Shady side is 75F with 80%+ humidity, at the moment.

Open side is currently 80F with 85%+ humidity.

Don’t currently have my hide in place, but it’ll be on the open side with moss inside for extra humidity. Currently, I’ve checked the basking temps most, still checking and double checking the others.

These numbers are <1hr of being powered on. Leaving it on throughout the evening and checking everything as it sits longer. Have today and tomorrow to get it all perfect.

Last edited:

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
Going to get a dimmer as my light is as high as will go and in the very center it’s about 102F.

Basically all ready for the little dude to arrive Wednesday morning!

We also got plants to grow tortoise food!

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
Lights on for a few hours, under shade temp 75 @ 95% humidity <3

Dimmer is ready for pickup tomorrow & baby Testudo hermanni hermanni arrives Wednesday morning!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I would have personally wrapped it a bit differently but the results are still good. Well done.

1. How are you getting in and out of the wrapping? Did you install a tarp zipper like I recommended or did you end up using another way?

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
I would have personally wrapped it a bit differently but the results are still good. Well done.

1. How are you getting in and out of the wrapping? Did you install a tarp zipper like I recommended or did you end up using another way?
The first version of lid is totally wrapped in plastic, and I've lined the edges with weather stripping, for now, so that when it's sitting on there's minimal airflow, except for the cords. Currently, to open, we tilt the lid up a tad, peek in, place thermo/hygro, notice baby tortoise is missing (burrowed 100% under; 100% undetectable (right next to hide!)), change water, etc. After today especially I hope to switch plastic for higher grade greenhouse plastic, more transparent, so we don't have to tilt lid open for general assessment. Will also shrink lid down to the necessary height now that I've temped everything.
I don't have a picture of the sides currently, but the pieces are clipped on at 12 points on each side as tight as possible,with stripping along the bare edges of the stock tank. The lid has bottom-overlap on all sides, which is either against weather stripping or overlapping the sides plastic (wanting to improve quality of plastic for sure).

Last edited:

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
Apis' first Snapdragon.
Today is my first day off work with her, finally get to spy on her throughout the day! Our indoor, as well as inside enclosure, plants are all doing swell! The grass is taking off! I hope to incorporate clover inside the enclosure as well.

She seems very active, seems to go from place to place constantly! So far so good<3.