Planning on getting some Red-eared sliders... advice needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Visalia, CA
Hi!! does anyone know much about sliders? I have been wanting to get some for years and I think that I am finally going to treat myself soon while my boyfriend is gone for a week in Alaska on a fishing trip. (I will need to stay busy :D ) I already have the tank, I just need to get some more supplies, etc.

My question is, how to I get the best turtles? It is still illegal to buy sliders under a certain size? I would like to get a pair of babies (or even a few) and watch them grow, but my book says that it's illegal to sell sliders under 4 inches in the US. This book is kind of old, my Mother gave it to me a few years back. Is this still true?

I have looked at the Sliders at the Pet store and I just don't feel right about taking that route. I have done a lot of research on chinchilla's because someday I would like to own one, but I know that you never want to buy them from a pet store, so it makes me weary about getting a turtle, or any pet from there. I have had good luck with my amazing cat that I bought at a pet store (it was random) But I usually avoid buying animals from those places because I don't know where they came from, how they have been treated, etc.

The sliders at the pet store are pretty small, I know that they will get bigger, but if it's possible I would really like to get a small baby slider, I just feel like it would be more enjoyable to watch them grow from being tiny.

Anyways, any advice or help is much appreciated.... obviously I have a lot of reading and education to learn before I get my new friends. But any help from my friends here will help me a ton.

Thanks!!! :tort: :rolleyes:

tortioselove101

5 Year Member
Hi I have a baby hat size is your tank what are you planning to feed he/she I wouldnt go for pet store unless it's local and you know the owners well or the business I got my turtle from turtlesource.com he healthy eats and well acts like a turtle!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They are an awesome turtle...funny huge personalities and beautiful....HOWEVER, they grow to be about dinner plate size eventually....you will need a tank filter that you can change/clean out easily ---as these turtles are like the goldfish of the turtle world...they are very messy...lol.

I would suggest that you locate your local turtle and tortoise club and see if they have some for adoption....(try to locate your local California Turtle and Tortoise Club)...

I generally do not promote pet stores trying to house and maintain ANY live animals...however, your chances on getting a healthy RES from a pet store is about as good as any....I mean the two I have at our house were originally a "two for 5.00" downtown Los Angeles alley special...they were tiny and the little girl and her mother who bought them did so on impulse of course, while they were clothes shopping....so after a couple of days the mother said to the daughter to "get rid of them" and at that time I worked at a wildlife park and the little girl gave them to my old boss...who in turn left them for me to care for---needless to say, I quickly became attached to them and they have lived with me ever since...eventually I will create an outdoor pond for them during the majority of the year (not winter)....

You will need an appropriate size tank
You will need a water heater
You will need a good filter
You will need a basking spot for the turt to lay out on to bask and dry their shell out at will
Food is generally meat foods while they are young and will progress to include more dark leafy greens in addition to meat foods
You will need strong will to not feed them every time they cause a ruckus at the glass when they see you in sight--and they have great sight...

LOL....

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
My tank is 47 gallons, I plan on getting a good filter, light, and everything that my turtles will need before ordering them. They have it all at Petco and they also have the floating logs that those turtles seem to love to bask on, do you recommend anything else?? Also, is 2 a good number to start with? I was thinking about ordering 2 from that website, or maybe even 3?

Thanks!! :)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I definitely recommend talking to someone who does rescue in your area. There are always sliders needing a good home. If you cannot locate a local one I may be able to help you. I am in the Sacramento area, but my local club has members from all over the valley. All over the world actually. Feel free to pm me if you need assistance.

Melissa

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
I would get more than one. I recently had 7 hatch in my backyard yesterday. They like to stay on groups. They are presh.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
ascott said:
They are an awesome turtle...funny huge personalities and beautiful....HOWEVER, they grow to be about dinner plate size eventually....you will need a tank filter that you can change/clean out easily ---as these turtles are like the goldfish of the turtle world...they are very messy...lol.

I would suggest that you locate your local turtle and tortoise club and see if they have some for adoption....(try to locate your local California Turtle and Tortoise Club)...

I generally do not promote pet stores trying to house and maintain ANY live animals...however, your chances on getting a healthy RES from a pet store is about as good as any....I mean the two I have at our house were originally a "two for 5.00" downtown Los Angeles alley special...they were tiny and the little girl and her mother who bought them did so on impulse of course, while they were clothes shopping....so after a couple of days the mother said to the daughter to "get rid of them" and at that time I worked at a wildlife park and the little girl gave them to my old boss...who in turn left them for me to care for---needless to say, I quickly became attached to them and they have lived with me ever since...eventually I will create an outdoor pond for them during the majority of the year (not winter)....

You will need an appropriate size tank
You will need a water heater
You will need a good filter
You will need a basking spot for the turt to lay out on to bask and dry their shell out at will
Food is generally meat foods while they are young and will progress to include more dark leafy greens in addition to meat foods
You will need strong will to not feed them every time they cause a ruckus at the glass when they see you in sight--and they have great sight...

LOL....

Angela,

The more I am reading on past threads about lights and tank setups the more confused I am feeling!! I feel like a total do-do (this will my first water turtle)!!! What kind of light do you recommend? I didn't know I needed a water heater also.... I am feeling very confused.... My tank is 47 gallons.... is there a good lamp that wont kill my electric bill?

You always give the best advice. Thanks :D

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
they grow big (7 inches) so unless you got a 70 gallon tank or plan on buying one then i suggest getting a map turtle (4 1/2 inch) instead. its your choice though

80zthomas

5 Year Member
Vacaville, Ca
PumpkinPie said:
My tank is 47 gallons, I plan on getting a good filter, light, and everything that my turtles will need before ordering them. They have it all at Petco and they also have the floating logs that those turtles seem to love to bask on, do you recommend anything else?? Also, is 2 a good number to start with? I was thinking about ordering 2 from that website, or maybe even 3?

Thanks!! :)

I started with 30g ended up with a 80g for now, eventually they will need a indoor or out door pond with some koi...can't wait. A great website to purchase sliders and other turtle would be http://theturtlesource.com or http://market.kingsnake.com/.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Your tank is too small for even one, I agree with the previous post about getting a map turtle or another good choice would be a spotted turtle. For one slider a 75 gallon would be the minimum in my opinion.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I agree with considering a smaller turtle. Until you have owned a slider, you dont realize how fast they grow and the space they need.
If you are good with getting a much larger tank, sooner rather than later a slider would work.
I have a long reptisun 5.0 in my hood. This goes across the tank.
I have a heater and keep my water temps for juveniles at 76. 5oW
I have a nice basking light over their platform for basking.
Your electricity bill will definitely go up, with lights, heater, filter.
I have three tanks, some with two filters. My bills are manageable with multiple tanks.
I am glad you are doing your research.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.