Plant Buying Help!

tortoisekyle

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hello! I recently just got a Russian tortoise! She is a girl and the place where I got it from says she is probably around 5 years old. I got her in a indoor terrarium and now I want to get her a outdoor area. I have looked on tortoisesupply.com and I see they have “seed mixes” for your tortoise. I want to plant some plants in my outdoor area. Any recommendations for what kind of seed mix I should get for my Russian tortoise? Thanks.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

tortoisekyle

Colorado
Their broad leaf testudo mix is great!
Please keep in mind that when weather is bad and you have to House her indoors (which will likely be all winter), you need a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet.
Where did you get her from?
Please give these links a read, and come back with questions :)
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Thanks so much! I have another question because you seem very knowledgeable. What kind of “common” mulch would you recommend me putting in her outdoor area? I have seen a lot of things but not a lot about Russian tortoises thanks!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thanks so much! I have another question because you seem very knowledgeable. What kind of “common” mulch would you recommend me putting in her outdoor area? I have seen a lot of things but not a lot about Russian tortoises thanks!

I would recommend just using the soil that’s already there, if there is any. Cypress mulch and eucalyptus mulch are the only ones I can think of that can be used for tortoises, but I think it would be easier to plant things in a more earthy substrate :)

tortoisekyle

Colorado
Please keep in mind that when weather is bad and you have to House her indoors (which will likely be all winter), you need a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet.
Beginner Mistakes

Another question I have is, Could I ( during the winter) keep her outdoors and create a cover with lots of heat lamps reaching to 90 degrees at most?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Another question I have is, Could I ( during the winter) keep her outdoors and create a cover with lots of heat lamps reaching to 90 degrees at most?

I’ve never kept Russians outdoors, so I would wait for another opinion. However, I do think that you would have to build a heated night box or shed.

tortoisekyle

Colorado
I would recommend just using the soil that’s already there, if there is any. Cypress mulch and eucalyptus mulch are the only ones I can think of that can be used for tortoises, but I think it would be easier to plant things in a more earthy substrate :)

Great! Thanks!

tortoisekyle

Colorado
Beginner Mistakes

Forgot to say... I got her from “Scales and Tails” they have multiple locations. They specialize in reptiles and they get their tortoises from breeders in Florida. They seemed very knowledgeable about tortoises and they say things like what I have heard from different experts on here! Lmk what you think

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Forgot to say... I got her from “Scales and Tails” they have multiple locations. They specialize in reptiles and they get their tortoises from breeders in Florida. They seemed very knowledgeable about tortoises and they say things like what I have heard from different experts on here! Lmk what you think

Sounds pretty good! Reason I ask, is that most petstores get wild caught tortoises, and I don’t think they are an exception. Your tortoise might be a lot older than 5, if it is wild caught.

tortoisekyle

Colorado
Sounds pretty good! Reason I ask, is that most petstores get wild caught tortoises, and I don’t think they are an exception. Your tortoise might be a lot older than 5, if it is wild caught.

I am pretty sure they kind of breed them and not catch them. I asked them a lot about it and it is like a natural breeding area ( outdoors )

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

I’d be extremely surprised if you could house a Russian outside in winter, anywhere. Once the days shorten they are going to want to hibernate.

I hate to sound rude but I’ve checked the website for Scales and Tails and much of the information they post for Russians is incorrect and unsafe, starting with whatever they sold you for housing. If you want to keep a Russian (they’re great!), you are going to need to return that terrarium and get her something far larger. Sorry. :(

Please stick around, read the care sheets and come back with questions. And just so you know, most of the folks on here started off with out-of-date information too! :)

tortoisekyle

Colorado
Welcome!

I’d be extremely surprised if you could house a Russian outside in winter, anywhere. Once the days shorten they are going to want to hibernate.

I hate to sound rude but I’ve checked the website for Scales and Tails and much of the information they post for Russians is incorrect and unsafe, starting with whatever they sold you for housing. If you want to keep a Russian (they’re great!), you are going to need to return that terrarium and get her something far larger. Sorry. :(

Please stick around, read the care sheets and come back with questions. And just so you know, most of the folks on here started off with out-of-date information too! :)

Ha your not rude. I actually didn’t get any terrarium from them, I actually made my own which is 4 feet by 7 feet! The people their at least told me correct info. Thanks a lot!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Wow, you’re terrarium is actually big enough! That’s a first, lmao. It sounds like your tortoise is getting very good care, and that he should be able to stay in the terrarium during the winter.