Plant ID Question (Corn?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

way2gfy

5 Year Member
I have this "thing" growing in the planter in my front yard. I believe it is a corn plant from the pictures I found on the web. I never planted corn in there but the kids scattered reindeer food last Christmas and there was corn in the mix.

The food list on here says the corn plant is ok but corn itself should be avoided.

Here is the whole plant:
2009056.jpg

Here is a close up of the sprouty looking things:
2009057.jpg

Does everyone else agree that this is a corn plant and if so, can I feed my Squirt the sprouty things? No fertilizers or chemicals used in the planter either.

Thanks.

This is the other website I came across talking about DT's and corn:
http://www.centralah.com/tortoise.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've had this grow from seeds from my bird feeder. Its not really "corn" that makes an actual ear of corn, but I don't know the name. Its not maize either. It might be called millet.

Yvonne

way2gfy

5 Year Member
It could be millet and now since you mentioned that it really looks like the millet I give my birds (except theirs is dry). There was also bird seed in that reindeer food the girls scattered. Oatmeal too....

You think it will be okay to feed my DT?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I really couldn't say on the leaves, however the seeds are edible. If you look up proso millet in google images, it shows your plant.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.