Plant ID

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
I am in the process of trying to make my enclosure a little more appealing to both my and my leo babies. I picked up a lovely Bromeliad and Spider plant (pictured below)
D81C593B-602F-43E8-AABD-7F6211F7E661_zpswmqnwbv4.jpg

51EQzOvO5bL_SY300__zps6c918e11.jpg

They had a few others that I was interested in, but either the sales guy didn't know that name or the name he gave didn't come up on Tort Table site. Here they are and what he called them:

This one he called a polka dot plant. Said it has pretty purple flowers and can come in a variety that has pink spots also.
8AF7A7F6-C994-4710-AFB5-B1AC70E2CF81_zpscfxkqimm.jpg

This one he could not think of the name, its the one in the middle with the broad leafs:
6854E3D7-C1CC-45CE-B7A7-CACB6649FA5A_zpsf2din7dw.jpg

He was pretty sure they would be tort safe, hence the reason they carried them, but I figured I would look into it first. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The first one is a bromeliad.

The second one might be a spider plant, but there's another house plant that looks very similar to it.

The third one is dumb cane or dieffenbachia. Toxic

The last one is a prayer plant.

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
New Mexico
Looking at the Dieffenbachia it doesn't say anything about pink spots or purple flowers. That's what the guy said this one will have. Maybe something else?

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
New Mexico

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Yes to the "spider plant" - Chlorophytum
Yes to the "polka dot plant" - Hypoestes
Yes to the last one, which is a "prayer plant" - Maranta
The bromeliad is a variety of Neoregelia - prickles on the edges can be dangerous to small eyes.

None are dangerously toxic, but all commercially-grown houseplants are doused with horrible fungicides, and shoud be kept away from sensitive animals for about nine months to be safe.