Plant id

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
I haven't seen this around my house, but it is all over the place at work.
I call it chimp weed or chimp nip (a chimp kept pointing at it telling me she wanted it until I figured out what she wanted) but I would like to know what it really is. I've had no luck finding it anywhere. The chimps LOVE it.

It is furry and kind of sticks to itself like velcro.

photo-48.jpg

photo-45.jpg

photo-44.jpg

photo-47.jpg

Thanks,
Nick

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ha, ha...chimp weed! Good one. I don't think I've ever seen that plant. It sort of looks like a shefflara, but that's a tropical plant (or house plant here in the States), and its not fuzzy.

S

stells

Its Goosegrass... also known as Sticky bud... Edible but should only be fed as part of a varied diet

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My Gosh, Kelly!! Is there no plant that escapes your knowledge? What a team you and Danny are going to make...he knows all the turtles and tortoises alive and dead since the beginning of time, and you know all the plants! :D

Since Kelly was good enough to i.d. the plant for you, Nick, here's a link to the Wikipedia deffinition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galium_aparine

S

stells

There are a few that escape me... mostly ones more native to the US... and Roachman has some really odd looking plants growing lol

The ones i can get here i know... its ok to research diet and nutrition... but if you can't then ID the plants to find out what they contain to me its a pointless exercise...

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Wow! Thank you Kelly! :D

I've tried to figure out what it was before but I always got frustrated.

It's kind of funny that the wikipedia page says it's unfit to be eaten raw because of its hooks. When the chimps see me picking it, they get very excited. The one that pointed it out to me asks me for it all the time. The monkeys like it too. I tried it once and thought it tasted as green as it looked.

Thank you again!

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.