Plant Identification Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Does any one know the name of this plant.And would it be a good treat for tortoise's.I got it last year and it has grown very well, it is hardy down to a lite frost,and every piece that has been broken off roots right where it fell.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Euphorbia tirucalli (Originally from South Africa)

Len B

10 Year Member!
WOW!!! this is one bad plant, it's used to make oil,and stun fish in rivers and creeks, plus many other uses even a hopeful source for cancer treatment.But not as a tortoise treat.--------Thanks Yvonne --

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're welcome! Euphorbia is the largest item in my cactus and succulent collection. I have over 50 different varieties. Most of them will cause skin irritation if you get the sap on you, however, if my tortoises ever get the chance, they always eat it.

Len B

10 Year Member!
So this is sort of like the alocasia, colocasia, philodendron, mushroom,toxic list plants that some tortoise's eat with no bad effects?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would think so. If you read what Wikipedia has to say about it, its toxic but yet they use it to treat cancers and warts, rheumatism and neuralgia. And yet the sap burns the skin and may cause blindness up to 7 days. How do they get it into you to cure your cancer? It must burn your throat all the way down???

I don't feed it to my tortoises on purpose, but occasionally the wind will blow a potted plant into their enclosure and they are quick to take advantage and eat whatever they can. Why don't I move my potted plants so the wind can't blow them into the habitat? Because I like the looks of where they are, and the tortoises don't seem to suffer any ill effects. I guess after a pot bonks one on the nose and knocks him unconscious, maybe I'll move them then...after the cow has left the barn.

Status
Not open for further replies.