plant identification!!!!!!!!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
First one looks like horseweed. Second looks like purslane. Purslane should be fine as part of a varied diet, horseweed is listed as 'do not feed' on The Tortoise Table.

(Purslane is listed on the 'do not feed' on The Tortoise Table but I've read people using it, as well as myself, but only occasionally).

Last edited:

Prairie Mom

I did read that purslane should only be fed to tortoises in smaller amounts as part of a varied diet, but something kind of fun... it's perfectly EDIBLE for PEOPLE.:) When the weed is still young, the rounded leaves have kind of a fresh celery/lettuce kind of taste and they go great in mixed salads. I allow this weed to grow in my garden beds and we've used it often. ---I thought you might be interested in that "food for thought"...----baa hah ha ha ha haha....wait....why am I the only one laughing? ;)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I did read that purslane should only be fed to tortoises in smaller amounts as part of a varied diet, but something kind of fun... it's perfectly EDIBLE for PEOPLE.:) When the weed is still young, the rounded leaves have kind of a fresh celery/lettuce kind of taste and they go great in mixed salads. I allow this weed to grow in my garden beds and we've used it often. ---I thought you might be interested in that "food for thought"...----baa hah ha ha ha haha....wait....why am I the only one laughing? ;)
Haha! No, you're not laughing alone. Purslane for people? Really?! In salad? I thought about planting it for my guys, but the Tortoise Table lists it as feed in moderation. I like to have things that I don't need to worry about feeding, ever. I'm too busy to keep track of what I fed last, how much, etc.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Prairie Mom

Ha ha ha! Yes, it's true!! You should google it. Not only is it kind of good, it's actually really good for you! It has lots of Omega3s. People all over the world eat it. FYI...What lismar posted about it interfering with calcium absorption is true, but my understanding is that it only interferes if it is eaten in large amounts. I've allowed my little Mavis to take a few bites of purslane while she trots around the yard, because it's tasty and I want her to have a little fun. My Mavis arrived with soft spots in her shell and the beginnings of MBD, but even with a few bites of purslane here and there, she is still completely reversing the MBD and hardening up beautifully in just a couple weeks!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Ha ha ha! Yes, it's true!! You should google it. Not only is it kind of good, it's actually really good for you! It has lots of Omega3s. People all over the world eat it. FYI...What lismar posted about it interfering with calcium absorption is true, but my understanding is that it only interferes if it is eaten in large amounts. I've allowed my little Mavis to take a few bites of purslane while she trots around the yard, because it's tasty and I want her to have a little fun. My Mavis arrived with soft spots in her shell and the beginnings of MBD, but even with a few bites of purslane here and there, she is still completely reversing the MBD and hardening up beautifully in just a couple weeks!
Cool! Thanks for the info! I'll have to do some research. Poor Mavis! I'm sure she'll recover quickly, in your hands.

May

Prairie Mom

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
What? what? What?...is it the phosphorus!? The world must know, Jabuticaba!
It's the vitamin A. Vitamin A competes with vitamin D for uptake, by blocking VDRs (Vitamin-D Receptors) in cells. It's okay for humans, as we've much bigger, but for smaller animals 2,000IUs/100g is way too much for tortoises. Imho, humans need to be carful, too, and watch overall daily intake of vit A, if adding purslane to their diet.

May