Planting Opuntia Cochenillifera...advice PLEASE!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
How thick were the pads when you planted them? The thinner pads may 'bulk up' before you see any actual growth.
About 3/8" thick. Time will tell. I didn't realise they took so long.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Hi @DeanS, I do not know about that varietal of Opuntia cochenillifera, but that species is reported to have very low oxalates at any age pad. I'll try and find the reference and post it.
I have a soft spot for this stuff...if for no other reason than being diabetic (at least that's what the sugar levels say) I pop two or three pads a day...everyday...and I think it definitely helps! Not to mention ALL the sullies around here gobble em up as fast as I can drop em!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I have a soft spot for this stuff...if for no other reason than being diabetic (at least that's what the sugar levels say) I pop two or three pads a day...everyday...and I think it definitely helps! Not to mention ALL the sullies around here gobble em up as fast as I can drop em!
It tastes good to me, I've found many good preps for it. So far chopped with chorizo and eggs is my favorite.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
What is chorizo?
Nasty sausage that tastes great, pig lips etc and spices. Probably really NOT pig lips, but you get the idea. Also beef and chicken, but I think the pork is best. Another great one is a whole cabbage simmered in a bit of red wine, they a whole chorizo link. Potato works too. Chorizo is the basis of Huevos Rancheros. Deadly tasty, one of those things where common sense and stomach capacity loose out to hedonistic eating.

Karen Williams

You can cut a inch off and let it dry, depending how it dries. I planted more than several pads more than 2 weeks ago. I didnt want to wait one to few weeks to let the callous form. I searched online a lot to give me some ideas. I'm huge green thumb. You can cut a inch off and let it dry for few days, if its dried then planted it in sandy soil (I live in tampa, Florida, I used sandy soil), and watered It. Orrr you can cut off and plant it in dry soil, no water. You can do either way. I wish I have same kind as yours but I only have by regular. Two weeks went by and I got hs new growth. Holy moley! I was afraid that I might mess up but it came out well. I do water like every two weeks or when the soil is very dry. You can feed it with high nitrgoen to grow fast.