Planting plants in tortoise enclosure

Natalie44

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
I’m buying some organic plants I’ve found online. They’re pesticide free, so should they be okay to plant straight away inside my Hermanns enclosure? If so how do I plant them? The substrate I have is orchid bark.

Attachments

• IMG_4849.jpeg
    IMG_4849.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 2

Natalie44

Essex
Let me know if these are okay :) 👍

Attachments

• IMG_4852.jpeg
    IMG_4852.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4851.jpeg
    IMG_4851.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4850.jpeg
    IMG_4850.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I would leave them in pots or trays - easier to water, replace and so on. And some protection from being stomped and nibbled to the root. Can't tell from photos if they are edible, though (I'm no good at plant ID). The first set with clover is okay, but grasses probably will remain untouched.

Natalie44

Essex
I would leave them in pots or trays - easier to water, replace and so on. And some protection from being stomped and nibbled to the root. Can't tell from photos if they are edible, though (I'm no good at plant ID). The first set with clover is okay, but grasses probably will remain untouched.
They’re all edible live plants :) so just bury the pots in the substrate and you’re good to go?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m buying some organic plants I’ve found online. They’re pesticide free, so should they be okay to plant straight away inside my Hermanns enclosure? If so how do I plant them? The substrate I have is orchid bark.
Just remember that hermanni are not grass eaters. It won't hurt anything to put grass in there, but if it is at tortoise level, it will likely be trampled. I like to use pothos or spider plants and keep it out of tortoise reach in pots.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Let me know if these are okay :) 👍
The second photo listing there is just the leaves they’ll send to you for your guy to eat, but the others are potted plants that will be safe to go straight in, glad you like that website! Just always give the plants a quick google to make sure they’re safe if your species gives them a curiosity nibble lol.
Here’s how I’ve personally put some in in the past, might work well for you and give you an idea🙂
The ones more her level were destroyed very quickly and she did end up devouring the bigger one😂but she couldn’t trample it! So maybe try potting yours in a similar way? Hope this helps😊

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpeg
    IMG_1033.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
The ones more her level were destroyed very quickly and she did end up devouring the bigger one😂but she couldn’t trample it! So maybe try potting yours in a similar way? Hope this helps😊
That's exactly the reason I have my plants on the wall :)

Attachments

• PXL_20240311_070718784.jpg
    PXL_20240311_070718784.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
lol I’d love to get a plant wall built in there at some point! They look so good🙌🏻
Honestly, nothing special about them :) A kitchen railing and some hanging pockets from IKEA or general store. I've tried to put soil in the pockets - roots were growing through the fabric, lots of mess and such. I simply put potted plants in these pockets now - much more convenient :)

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Honestly, nothing special about them :) A kitchen railing and some hanging pockets from IKEA or general store. I've tried to put soil in the pockets - roots were growing through the fabric, lots of mess and such. I simply put potted plants in these pockets now - much more convenient :)
Ooooo thanks for the suggestions!! Constantly trying to work on getting squirts enclosure more interesting for her😁

Natalie44

Essex
The second photo listing there is just the leaves they’ll send to you for your guy to eat, but the others are potted plants that will be safe to go straight in, glad you like that website! Just always give the plants a quick google to make sure they’re safe if your species gives them a curiosity nibble lol.
Here’s how I’ve personally put some in in the past, might work well for you and give you an idea🙂
This has helped massively thank you :) yes, it’s the only website I found online that is organic and safe for the torts. Hopefully I get a lot for what I’m paying for!