Plants in my Tortoise Yards

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
We've had a lot of rain this winter, much more than normal, and consequently, the plants/weeds/grasses are growing wild in my tortoise yards.

This is the Radiata yard. You can see a Madagascar tree in the greenhouse where they shelter:

plants in the tortoise yards a.jpg

A couple years ago my tortoise partner, Will, brought me a plant that he called something like desert mallow or desert willow or some such desert name. I have it planted just on the edge of where one of the drip sprinklers waters and it's doing very well there. It hasn't stopped blooming since I got it:

plants in the tortoise yards b.jpg

The Russians think they've died and gone to heaven. They have SO much to eat this spring. There's all kinds of broad leaf weeds in there, along with all the tall grass to hide in:

plants in the tortoise yards c.jpg

this is the South African leopard tortoises' savannah:

plants in the tortoise yards d.jpg

Several years ago I mistakenly planted vinca in my box turtle yard. I've been able to keep it under control until this wet winter, and now it's too big to dig out. I work a little on it each morning, but it's really growing good:

plants in the tortoise yards e.jpg

Also in the box turtle yard is mint. This is also a trash plant, however, I like it in there. It's easy to keep under control because the roots aren't very deep, and it loves the waterer, where it grows VERY well:

plants in the tortoise yards f.jpg

And what fun is a thread without any animals. This is a colorful three toe male that was giving me the eye:

plants in the tortoise yards g.jpg

And this one is my favorite male three toe. I love him because he's stunted and quite small, and his shell is black:

plants in the tortoise yards h.jpg

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
This is such an awesome post!! Love the russian's dream enclosure as well as the "savannah." ? ?