Plastic Resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildak

5 Year Member
Has anyone ever used the type of resin that they make the water bowls and such out of ?

I could never find info on the correct type. I had made some bigger water bowls from styrofoam and concrete but they still ended up being way too heavy to deal with all the time.

I had thought about making a form and getting some of the resin used for reptile dishes and making large waterbowls that are still lightweight. Something like these http://www.cagesbydesign.com/p-364-replica-food-and-water-dishes.aspx but with more of a slope to the sides so tortoises don't flip over in them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You're just so inventive! Make your own incubators and now waterers! Wish you lived closer to me.

wildak

5 Year Member
Hahaha, yeah my brain's always in overdrive. The down fall is I only sleep about every 3 days.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow...that would be pretty cool....and I have only worked with concrete in making soaking spots....so could not offer up any word on doing it yourself.....but when you do--please let us know where you get that material to do it yourself....and what, if any, are the precautions with the material use doing it yourself....good luck and I bet it turns out awesome..:D

wildak

5 Year Member
Well If I find the proper stuff I will make a few fiberglass forms and could make some extras.

I am assuming the stuff is a 2 part mixture. Hopefully I don't have to buy a 100 gallons if I can find the right stuff.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hopefully I don't have to buy a 100 gallons if I can find the right stuff.

No kidding huh? Also, may depend on what it costs for materials and such...that will be interesting to know....keep us posted for sure, please..:D

nickercrombie

5 Year Member
I have A LOT of experience with fiberglass, resin, and casting different things.

In order to properly do this it will be quite an ordeal, but you can get it done. I would suggest first creating your original piece, whether it is a water dish or what ever you want. You can get insulating foam (blue or pink) at home depot and carve it using knives and different tools. After that, lay a layer of bondo (body filler) on that, and smooth it out to your final shape. Once that is done you can paint it with an enamel spray paint so it's slick. Then you need to make a mold of it. The product escapes my mind right now, but it's basically rubber you mix with a catalyst. After that is done, you can pull your original piece out of the rubber and you have a mold! After that, you can use alumilite 2 part casting resin, sold in 1 gallon containers, so you get 2 gallons total. They also have different colors you can add to it to add dimension.

This will not be an inexpensive venture, so If you want to do it I would suggest selling them after to make money back! I'll post links to everything when I'm at my computer. And if you have any questions please ask, I have literally made about 50-70 molds and parts using this technique.

wildak

5 Year Member
Good deal,
The one link above has some demos that sound similar to what your talking about. They use a liquid rubber over the model and the plaster over that, remove the plaster and the the rubber. Set the rubber inside the plaster cast and then use your filler resin.

I have sculpted the foam like you said when forming concrete, it's messy but fun.

But if you know the best products to use at a good price that would be great.

I have also read about shredded pvc but it requires an exact temperature and it gives off nasty gases when heated to liquid form I think. I like the sound of the 2 part stuff better but they have so many on that one sight. Hopefully I will get a reply this week.

I was thinking of making some to fit the med. waterland tub, to cover the one end. And making a big one for outdoors.

nickercrombie

5 Year Member
There are a ton of companies out there that sell this stuff, but alumilite is the one company that seems extremely knowledgeable and helpful. their website is http://alumilite.com/ and they have a lot of videos on how to do this. I would suggest using the alumilite white product, it has a large temperature range at which it can be used, it sets up quick, can be colored, and gives off virtually no smell. You can also buy fillers to put in the resin to make it lighter.

here is the link for the resin:
http://alumilite.com/Category.cfm?Category=Casting Resins

And here is the link for the rubber:
http://alumilite.com/Category.cfm?Category=Silicone Rubber

I suggest you watch several videos about mixing the rubber, because it is so expensive! Many people use a vacuum pump, which eliminates air bubbles, but in my experience you can get away with mixing it, pouring it in on the part and then shaking/tapping/vibrating the piece to make the air bubbles come to the surface. If you make one really good mold it will last you 50 to 75 parts I believe, probably more though!

Covering the rubber with plaster is the best way to do it, and the plaster makes it rigid and easy to work with.

Sculpting the foam is pretty fun! I build flight simulators, and sometimes we need to build parts that don't exist, so I have to create them using foam and fiberglass. Time consuming and messy, but boy is it rewarding!

I haven't heard about shredded PVC before, sounds tricky though

wildak

5 Year Member
Thanks Nickercrombie. I was thinking modeling clay could give you fine details and a smooth finish without messing with the Styrofoam. As long as the form release or paint works on clay.

I'm going to be making molds of all my tortoises now lol.

Aldabra Man could make nice hide boxes out of molds made from those big boys, halloween costumes or a pretty cool atv/go cart. lol

This could be interesting.

Well so far it looks like to get started (with that company anyways) I'm looking at around $250 before shipping which would make maybe 2 molds and 2-3 bowls. But like Nickercrombie says the molds last a long time so after that the cost would just be the resins $120 and any dyes for color and shipping.

I found a place up the road that deals in plastics, maybe they have or can get the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.