Plastron Abdominal Scute is peeling away! Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
Cassi,
I just found this thread and read everything. I don't think any of the comments were aimed at you being a bad mom. A lot of breeders and pet stores give bad advice because they are not current with their tort care or they want to sale you something. If you were doing something that you were told to do for your tort and it caused it harm, the members here want to help you correct it. That was probably not the case here, but it is a lot of the time. The members here really care and just want to help, but sometime their passion for tortioses comes off as harsh. I really don't think anyone here was judging you. Please keep us posted on how your little guy is doing and good luck to the both of you.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You being negligent never crossed my mind....seriously? If you post a problem and we read it we become detectives in regards to figuring out whatthe could be causing the problem...hence questions start flying...I have gone back and read every post on this thread and no one even had a flavor for blaming you ......I hope that you were perhaps understandably over sensitive due to the worry of your tortoise and don't REALLY believe we were intending anything other than the best for your tortoise.... :D

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
I didn't see all of the previous posts. I was just skimming through this morning. it could have been that people were busy yesterday and didn't come back to respond. It could have been that you took the tort to the vet where he received a physical exam and has bloodwork pending. Nothing over the internet can really top a vet exam in person.

Agreeing with another poster, I think you sound like a great tort mom. :) You obviously found out that your little one had a problem, came to ask questions, and had already made a vet appt.

I also agree with the detective style of problem solving. People come to share and learn. One member may have a problem and everyone asks questions and shares their opinions and advice. A lot of people learn about torts from the outcome. I am new to Sulcatas, so everyone's experience is a chance for me to learn. I adopted a young Sulcata last year that passed away. He had no symptoms other than a soft plastron. Before I came to the forum, I had heard about keeping Sulcatas dry and feeding little amounts. Then I learned to keep them more humid and to feed better. I think it was too late for my little guy who may have already had underlying issues. Some members here that are more experienced are just trying to share new husbandry techniques and such. It really is a very friendly and helpful forum.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
In all honesty a negligent person wold not have posted pictures and ask questions.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
dmmj said:
In all honesty a negligent person wold not have posted pictures and ask questions.
Or spent the time and money to go to a vet, I think we can all agree that exotic animal vets generally charge a pretty hefty fee. You even have a follow up to have that scute taken care of. Just relax, like myself, you seem to read too much into things. S'all good. :cool:

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Just read this entire thread. I'm hoping your little one will heal quickly. Hopefully the cause can be determined as this can be a learning experience for all who haven't seen or dealt with this.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't want to bring up bad feelings, but what was the diagnosis? did I miss it somewhere?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
sassycassi31 said:
I actually feel hurt to think that you all may think that I am that negligent.

No-One thinks your negligent somethings people type come out wrong and you can not get your real emotion through a computer scream.....
We give one sort of criticism that is ''constructive criticism'' No-one is here to make you feel bad just to help you... ;)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Just catching up on this entire post. No thinks you are negligent, dear!

This is a place where people ask questions and offer CONSTRUCTIVE critisism and comments in order to help you and your tort(s) be happy and healthy! Sometimes it's hard not to feel personally attacked when everyone is posting suggestions for things you should change, but it's only in order to HELP :)

Simply put, if you didn't care about your tort, you wouldn't be on here and we wouldn't be talking about this! Chin up! Best wishes for your tort :D

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
ascott said:
6 days gone pass since she was on here....don't think she is coming back???? That is too bad...hm

Ya, it really is to bad. At least her tort is getting plastron problem fixed.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I hope she does come back, would like to know how her tortoise is doing...

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
she seemed like a nice person though :) i am glad the tort was treated, i also want to know how its doing

Status
Not open for further replies.