Plastron Abdominal Scute is peeling away! Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassycassi31

5 Year Member
I soaked my 8 month old sulcata today and noticed her abdominal scute has almost completely peeled back. As I took pictures to post I noticed that there seems to be flesh moving under it when she moves. I can't find information anywhere on this for sulcata's. Please see attached pictures. I have read that Sulcata's Do Not Shed!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0848[1].JPG
    IMG_0848[1].JPG
    572.8 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0849[1].JPG
    IMG_0849[1].JPG
    438.5 KB · Views: 310

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Holy Cow! That doesn't look good at all.

There is no flesh under that keratin that's peeling out...that's bone. You need to get that tortoise to a good tortoise vet as soon as you're able. He needs immediate attention. And you need to try to figure out why this has happened.

What is the substrate? Is it dry? Is it too wet? Tell us all the particulars of his care and we'll try to give you some pointers...but get him to a vet.

I know it doesn't seem appropriate right now, but I just wanted to say "Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!" Please keep us posted. We all learn from each other here. (And may we know your name? and where you are?)

sassycassi31

5 Year Member
Thank you for the welcome. My name is Cassandra and I am from Phoenix, AZ. I am on hold with the vet now and just spoke to the breeder also. The breeder has never heard of the condition and checked my habitat and diet. All seems well that I am doing everything right (see picture of other tortoise I attached). Vet appointment is at 9:30 am tomorrow. I will keep you posted on causes and remedies.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
That definitely doesn't look good. If you don't take it to the vet and get it treated, bacteria might spread and make it worse. What could be the cause of this?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That looks like a direct impact injury...or predatoryare injury...IMHO I agree he needs vet attention as well...that area really needs a clean out to start with (by the vet I mean) when was the last time you examined your tortoise? I mean to try to gage when it could have happened, you know?

Poor baby...please keep us in the loop .....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I didn't think of that, Dr. Todd. Yes, of course...if the tortoise is sitting on an electric hot rock that might happen. The young ones sometimes don't realize they can get off the too hot area.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Just a thought, but maybe it was a bacterial infection at one time and it just got a layer of pus under it and opened up? I know we see a lot of babies on here that have that nasty red line in the same area of their plastron. Could have got infected. Just my two cents. I'm not that experienced with torts.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am thinking an injury of some type or a heat burn. Let us know how the vet visit goes.

sassycassi31

5 Year Member
The vet did find an infection after cleaning under the scute and plans to remove the scute next week. She has been placed on antibiotics every other day by injection. Her whole plastron is soft and the vet is doing blood work to determine the cause. She is never on a hot rock nor has she ever been attacked. The vet has raised her UVB intake and has quarantined her so the wounds can heal. Her brother is very sad and hangs just outside the quarantine area. The vet said that diseases or calcium/protein levels may be the cause. She has always eaten and moved well so we didn't have cause to think anything was wrong with her until the scute issue.
So in short: UVB, protein or calcium or the current possibilities until blood work comes back.

sassycassi31

5 Year Member
Now no one has comments after all the speculation? and given answers? I felt like a bad mom after ya'lls comments when I couldn't answer cause I was at the doctors office for three hours. :( Not the greatest taste in my mouth considering I am the newb here. Thank you much emysemys you at least noticed details that I would not have seen and helped with the dr. appointment.

sassycassi31

5 Year Member
I actually feel hurt to think that you all may think that I am that negligent.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
hmmm, really? seems like would be something other than disease/calcium issue....very strange indeed. Well, I am glad she is being tended to and wish her a full speedy recovery :D

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
Best of wishes with your little one for a speedy recovery!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
sassycassi31 said:
I actually feel hurt to think that you all may think that I am that negligent.

I don't think ANYbody thinks in any way you are negligent. Facts are once you saw there was a problem, you took immediate steps to try and correct it. That is not negligent at all, that is a good keeper. I think no one may have commented further, waiting those test out comes. Sorry that you were hurt by our words and actions. :(

Meantime, why not give us a lot of detailed information on how you are keeping these guys. Things like type of substrate and damp, dry, or what. What temps are they at for high and low sides during the day and night? Hides what kinds? Lights what kind if any? Time outside? What have you been feeding them? Adding any calcium or vit/minerals? How long have you had them? The other one's plastron is completely firm correct?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry Cassi. I'm sure none of us intentionally hurt you. Its just that when you didn't know what was going on, we were all interested in what may have caused it...but after you'd been to the vet and had an answer, there was really nothing more for us to say.

I can only speak for myself, and I certainly didn't think you were a bad tort mommy. If the problem was caused by something you did or didn't do, the other tortoise most likely would have something wrong too. No, on the contrary...I think you are doing a great job of tortoise-keeping. And you are a welcome new member here.

Status
Not open for further replies.