Plastron panic

Defishnsea

Location (City and/or State)
Slidell, Louisiana
The few spots of concern are the dots on the darker umbilical area on the right( his left) and the white squiggly lines (not the lines that separate the scutes) in the shallow groves that I have zoomed in on. The white has been there since I got it, (1 month) and aren't spreading, but I just noticed the dots. It rained 7 days straight and he lives outdoors during the day with a topsoil covered in cypress mulch substrate. At night he is locked in a heated house with sphagnum moss that is kept lightly misted. Wondering if all the rain lately caused a fungus to start. I am not to concerned about the white stuff since it hasn't spread. What do ya'll see? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401926716.785854.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401926729.637216.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401926751.706317.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you keep him on moist substrate? Although RF need high humidity, they need to be on a dryer top layer as they are more prone to shell rot and fungus then other higher humidity torts. I'm not sure if it's a fungus or start if rot, but I will try to get someone here that is much more familiar with these two problems. Calling @Yvonne G and/or @tortadise

Defishnsea

Slidell, Louisiana
At night in his heated house I have a plastic shoe box within it that has a sponge attached to the inside top to keep a humid hide. I use the sphagnum moss in there lightly misted never really wet. Before work in the morning, I unlock his door and he eventually comes out and spends time in the garden area which is cypress covered top soil. It does stay moist here. This past week especially, since we had lots of rain. I know it's a little unconventional to raise one this size outdoors, but the weather in Louisiana is conducive for it this time of year. Who would think a tropical species would be so susceptible to moist substrate? I also set up that misting system on a timer to turn on for 2 minutes every 6 hours when it doesn't rain. Maybe I shouldn't use this anymore?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I see possibly a start of something. But not much. You can scrub it with some chlorohexadine and a soft tooth brush, then rinse. Can do this daily for about a week. But I don't really see anything of concern just yet. But you can scrub it for sure. Won't hurt anything. I don't think 7 days of rai. Is too concerning as long the weather keeps warm. If it's not too warm then that amount of wetness and rain could lead to other issues for sure.