Please check my shell

-ioi-

hi! Im a new owner of a two month old sulcata. Im just wondering if he/she will have problems with his/her shell. He/she is playful and seems to have a lot of energy but his/her shell looks different. Please check it out if its ok. Thank you!

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
He has a split scute. Its different but perfectly ok. It makes him unique!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your baby is showing quite a bit of pyramiding. You should read the pinned threads at the top of the sulcata section and make changes to the way you care for your baby accordingly. He needs to be kept in a warm and moist environment.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443195275.267149.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443195304.529148.jpg

I am becoming a little frustrated with all of the "experts" telling tortoise keepers that their animals are unhealthy because they have some bumping. Before being critical, become better educated as to the tortoises' well being. Are they eating well, bright eyed, active. If that is the case, stop worrying about it. It is my opinion and others that there is a genetic component to bumping. The perfect example is the 2 posted pics. One is perfectly smooth and the other is bumpy. Both male and healthy. I will put my tortoises' health up against anyone. If an animal is not thriving and has shell issues, that definitely needs to be addressed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think anywhere in my post I mentioned the tortoise was unhealthy. I merely intimated they would be able to stop the pyramiding by following the advice in our pinned threads.

( and I never claimed to be an expert, in quotation marks or out)

-ioi-

Thanks for all of your replies! :3
Also thank you for the welcome! :3
Im happy to know that his/her shell is just unique :3
About pyramiding, i was wondering about it as well, ive read about it before and was thinking about it. I keep him under the sun for about 7-8 hours. He stays for a while then go to a shade. The sunlight is very hot here coz i live near the equator. The substrate i use coco peat and keep it moist with warm water, should i change substrate?
I was also thinking that his/her shell is just bumpy but would rather take precautions.
Ill observe some more.
Thanks! :3

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
Yay!! Welcome to the forum!! Your tort is beautiful!! Definitely take advantage of all the great advice on here! We have a great group of well known members with years of experience and ideas to help you out! Three main things to keep in mind for a baby Sulcata; diet, humidity, soaking!
Post a lot of pics with your questions also, we love pictures ;)

-ioi-

Thanks for all your help and welcomes! :)
Here is my sulcata now.
I keep him humid with daily soaks for about 15-20 mins.
He is out on the sun for 9-10 hours.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19

-ioi-

Here are 2 other pictures :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

Hi, sorry, I don't mean to crash this thread but this is exactly the question I wanted to ask about my Hermann's, so I'm hoping it's ok if I post a couple of pictures here?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445410707.572953.jpg

By the way, your Sulcata is beautiful. Lovely shell. (I can't tell if it's pyramided or not; it doesn't look to be to me, but I'm by no means an expert)