Please Help! (cold tortoise)

crocididdle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan!
i need help with a new tortoise table... i have this so far, but what can i add/do to make it better? i found him cold as ice in the corner at night and it's just plain empty. any ideas? ANYTHING will do ! thanks :D

P.S. i made this yesterday so he hasn't been like this for long.

Attachments

• IMG_20131117_110622.jpg
    IMG_20131117_110622.jpg
    991.7 KB · Views: 131

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
RE: Please Help!

I use black incandescent bulbs for heat during the night. Just a low wattage one so there is still a temp drop at night but not frigid. I also cover 75% of the top of the enclosure with a cheap, clear shower curtain to keep the heat/humidity in. I can't really tell what kind of tortoise that is though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I suggest one of these: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

It will make keeping him warm and humid over winter in your climate easy. You will do nothing but burn lots of electricity and fight opposing factors in an open topped enclosure like that.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio

You could try plexiglass. I've used that too and it works great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I tear off two lo-o-o-o-ong strips of cooking foil, fold them together along the long edge to make one big sheet, and then cover over the whole tort table, lights and all. I use a black light to keep it warm at night. I also have a seedling heat pad under the substrate where the hiding place is, and the hiding place is filled with moist sphagnum moss.

crocididdle

5 Year Member
Michigan!

Yvonne G said:
I tear off two lo-o-o-o-ong strips of cooking foil, fold them together along the long edge to make one big sheet, and then cover over the whole tort table, lights and all. I use a black light to keep it warm at night. I also have a seedling heat pad under the substrate where the hiding place is, and the hiding place is filled with moist sphagnum moss.

Thank you everyone! i will post updated picture of what i did tomorrow!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Everybody has done the answers on heat ideas so I will go for the "plain" part you asked about also. Plants, rocks, small branches, and raised "hills" would add a lot to your enclosure.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: Please Help!

I like keeping my enclosure simple. Just give them the right heat humidity and food and they are happy. Take them outside for walks or even better build an outside enclosure with weeds and stuff. But inside for cleaning reasons I keep it simple.

justino4444

5 Year Member
Please Help!

UVB bulb if you don't have one right now and DECOR! I would recommend real/fake plants a water bowl and maybe a rock pile. I see a lot of potential with that enclosure. Good luck