Please help me is this My tortoise

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
There’s certain features that lead me to think they could be, but these scutes kind of throw me off😣perhaps someone with more knowledge can tell us if it’s possible they’ve changed like that over time? Or maybe I’ve miscounted😕

Attachments

• 8DEF3612-6472-4AEA-A2A1-07B2DEA782E3.jpeg
    8DEF3612-6472-4AEA-A2A1-07B2DEA782E3.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 2

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I feel like maybe new growth has potentially changed the shape slightly, but again please don’t take my word for that, I have little knowledge on the growth of these guys and I don’t want to get your hopes up😣

JoJosMom

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake, CA
The first three Tito and the last three are the new guy. Would you mind looking at the picture where the guys circled the lines on the front of the tortoise those look exactly the same? What are your thoughts on that? I appreciate everyone’s time.
I understand you are desperate for this to be your tortoise but this is not the same tortoise. The color pattern would not change significantly and the photos you just posted after this are not the same markings or scutes. We are a rescue and have several Sulcata tortoises. I am about 99% sure with agreement of my husband that this is not the same tortoise. I'm sorry.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I lost my turtle six and a half months ago when I moved to Florida. He got out day one when my mom left a gate open. He instantly went to a huge forest area, which we searched endlessly. A week ago somebody found a sulcata. he comes to his name and he lets me put him on his head just like my Tito did. But he looks so much bigger. I’m wondering if him being on his own and finally being in the right human climate for his shell if he just had a huge growing spurt. I have this turtle at my house now, but I just don’t know if it’s my beloved turtle or not can anybody tell me if significantly in six eating all they want?? The first 3 pictures are of the new tortoise, the last 3 are of my beloved Tito. Please somebody help me. I’m desperate to know if this is my tortoise.
Sorry to say this, but I am another person who believes these are two DIFFERENT tortoises.

ryan57

PA
I disagree with many and think that it is very much the same tortoise. The front scute has very unique growth markings of that square and double growth ring that is the same. However that tortoise is living now, it's eating more than you were feeding it and it's doing good on its own. I have one that has lightened up in color significantly in the past 6 months and I'm also noticing that digging in the dirt seems to do wonders for evening out the carapace.

Yes, they can grow and change that much in 6 months with eating all they want to.

Attachments

• 8DEF3612-6472-4AEA-A2A1-07B2DEA782E3.jpeg
    8DEF3612-6472-4AEA-A2A1-07B2DEA782E3.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I lost my turtle six and a half months ago when I moved to Florida. He got out day one when my mom left a gate open. He instantly went to a huge forest area, which we searched endlessly. A week ago somebody found a sulcata. he comes to his name and he lets me put him on his head just like my Tito did. But he looks so much bigger. I’m wondering if him being on his own and finally being in the right human climate for his shell if he just had a huge growing spurt. I have this turtle at my house now, but I just don’t know if it’s my beloved turtle or not can anybody tell me if significantly in six eating all they want?? The first 3 pictures are of the new tortoise, the last 3 are of my beloved Tito. Please somebody help me. I’m desperate to know if this is my tortoise.
IMG_2328.png

The scutes and color would certainly change over time, and even more so if the tortoise went from captive to feral conditions. See the damaged scute that I have circled in your original pics? Take a picture of that same area from the same angle of the newer guy with out the sand blocking the view. This "chipped" scute would not have changed much as the tortoise grew and changed out in the wild. In your new pics the angle is different and that area is covered up with dirt and sand.

In captive conditions, this tortoise was probably housed well and kept warm. It would have basked a lot less than a tortoise living outdoors with cold Napa nights where the tortoise would wake and then sleep in the sun for hours trying to warm up. All those hours in the sun would definitely "bleach" the scute color and lighten the color of the tortoise. This happens with all of them housed outdoors here in CA.

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
View attachment 372799

The scutes and color would certainly change over time, and even more so if the tortoise went from captive to feral conditions. See the damaged scute that I have circled in your original pics? Take a picture of that same area from the same angle of the newer guy with out the sand blocking the view. This "chipped" scute would not have changed much as the tortoise grew and changed out in the wild. In your new pics the angle is different and that area is covered up with dirt and sand.

In captive conditions, this tortoise was probably housed well and kept warm. It would have basked a lot less than a tortoise living outdoors with cold Napa nights where the tortoise would wake and then sleep in the sun for hours trying to warm up. All those hours in the sun would definitely "bleach" the scute color and lighten the color of the tortoise. This happens with all of them housed outdoors here in CA.
Yes 👍 my little guy changes color every year. He's getting his blue eyelids this time of year usually. The one thing that will remain the same mostly is his shell . That takes years to change and help. 😊

Pixiewoods

Napa ca
I understand you are desperate for this to be your tortoise but this is not the same tortoise. The color pattern would not change significantly and the photos you just posted after this are not the same markings or scutes. We are a rescue and have several Sulcata tortoises. I am about 99% sure with agreement of my husband that this is not the same tortoise. I'm sorry.
Thank you guys so much. I really appreciate all of your help. I’ll keep looking for my precious little Tito.

Pixiewoods

Napa ca
Yes 👍 my little guy changes color every year. He's getting his blue eyelids this time of year usually. The one thing that will remain the same mostly is his shell . That takes years to change and help. 😊
I kind of figured that he could’ve gotten a little lighter, but I didn’t think he could get that much lighter in six months. He was housed in a doghouse with shavings, baby pig warmer and so he was Warm and in the winter, we would even bring him in. Somebody told me that their show could fade, especially being in the Florida sun with sand, but I just don’t think this is my little guy.. but what’s weird as nobody else has posted that Lost Tortoise. I’ve had him for about 2 1/2 weeks now.. I appreciate everyone’s opinion and helping me point out differences of the turtle.