Tito the tortoise needs your help

Naidene23

Read the whole thread and I like to number my toughest to keep them straight in my head. A little OCD here...

1. I don't think a heat mat will be effective from above.
2. You don't want a heat mat on the side or bottom where your tortoise can contact it.
3. What if your tortoise leaves his night box area after dark? The whole enclosure needs to be warmer.
4. Your day time heat lamp gives off about 20% light and 80 percent heat. A CHE gives off 100% heat and no light. These heating elements screw into a normal ceramic heat lamp fixture just like a light bulb, so they are convenient and easy to use. The use of a thermostat with it will hold the ambient temperature where you set it. If you set your thermostat at 22C, for example, the thermostat will kick the CHE on if the temperature drops below that number. Once the CHE warms things up a bit and the temperature climbs back up to 22, the thermostat will turn the CHE off. The thermostat will do this day and night and always keep your minimum temperature where you want it. Then, during the day, your heat lamp will kick on and give him a simulated "sun" to bask under.

If I was to buy 100watt CHE bulb what size of bracket would hold the bulb?? I've found a wire bracket suited for this type of bulb, but it comes in size small and size large??

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
If I was to buy 100watt CHE bulb what size of bracket would hold the bulb?? I've found a wire bracket suited for this type of bulb, but it comes in size small and size large??
Make sure you get one that hangs. The clamp type is not to be trusted. They are known to fail and the falling lamp could start a fire.

Northampton Reptile Centre sells both small and large Exo Terra wire fittings. The small is suitable for CHEs up to 150W
http://www.reptilecentre.com/exo-terra-wire-light-small_p4004057.htm#.WNN4ed3fWEc

Naidene23

Attachments

• IMG_0753.PNG
    IMG_0753.PNG
    180.2 KB · Views: 5

Naidene23

Can I just hang it from a hook above titos cage?

I have bought these two items, so hoping they do the job & I have cancelled the heat mat purchase :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The lamp stand is basically a hook with adjustable height and reach.

A hook will do if you can position it correctly and securely.

Naidene23

The lamp stand is basically a hook with adjustable height and reach.

A hook will do if you can position it correctly and securely.

Okay I will see how I get on with these items thanks so much for your help :)

Tito goes in for his X-ray today at half 11, here's hoping I get to the bottom of his problems.

I am also waiting for his new substrate to arrive (coco coir) which I will fill his cage & hide with.

I will post pictures of the completed enclosure once all items I have purchased arrived. thanks everyone for the help it's appreciated.

Naidene23

what type of thermostat do I need to buy for this bulb in order for it to automatically turn off when temp is reached during the night??

Naidene23

Just a quick update :)

Everything I have ordered for titos has arrived so i am going to set up his enclosure when I have time out of work.

Only down fall is that the thermostat won't arrive until the end of the month/start of April which means I cannot put that bulb on during the night as I won't be able to control the temperature etc :/ any tips or ideas to keep him warm in the meantime??

Naidene23

Everything I have ordered for titos has arrived so i am going to set up his enclosure when I have time out of work.

Only down fall is that the thermostat won't arrive until the end of the month/start of April which means I cannot put that bulb on during the night as I won't be able to control the temperature etc :/ any tips or ideas to keep him warm in the meantime??

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

If you can be around during a day to watch the temps in there you should get pretty good idea about how warm things get in there after how long. I don't advocate not using thermostats but with diligence of the keeper it is possible to get by without one for a while, as long as you pay close attention and get in there with your temp gun all the time, record your findings, figure out trends and what wattage you need to keep your tort in optimal temps. After having your che on for few hrs you'll know how warm it gets in there. As long as Tito has options within the enclosure, places to get away from the heat, you should be ok

Naidene23

Thanks so much for your help! How high up should the CHE bulb be? I'm totally confused with the height as it says on box 100cm for 22c but that seems very high to me:/

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
well nadine wen my tortoise had a possible ri I was advise to make my night and day temps no lower that 80f which I believe is 27c I was told this and my Clyde symptoms seem to have improved just hang fire before u wet the substrate till a member who a lot more knowledgeable than myself come on to u coz i myself would nt like to wet the substrate if the temps are cool as he already as a ri just be careful

Naidene23

Will this bulb positioned here, actually heat up the inside of his hide??

Attachments

• IMG_0761.JPG
    IMG_0761.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Thanks so much for your help! How high up should the CHE bulb be? I'm totally confused with the height as it says on box 100cm for 22c but that seems very high to me:/
About 12 inches from the substrate or whatever the manufacturer's instructions say

Naidene23

The instructions on the box says 100cm for 22c,

It has a little grid on the side of the box, putting the bulb a meter from the substrate seems far too far away?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The instructions on the box says 100cm for 22c,

It has a little grid on the side of the box, putting the bulb a meter from the substrate seems far too far away?
100cm is too far away. 30cm ish is about right.

Height is irrelevant if you have an open enclosure though. If the enclosure has no cover, the CHE is only heating the room and you may as well leave your central heating on.

Naidene23

Will the bulb continue to get hotter and hotter as I do not have a thermostat yet??

I have an open tortoise table with 1/4 of the cage a tortoise hide which is sectioned off and that is where tito sleeps, but I have partly covered the cage with fluffy blankets!

Seeing as I don't have a thermostat I cannot leave the bulb on can I?

Cymmie

5 Year Member
It's kind of like a basking bulb, since it is a certain wattage it can't go beyond a certain heat point. It will reach that point and just stay there. Do you have a way to safely measure temps easily? You could adjust it depending on what the best temp is for you until your get your thermostat. I am hopeful for your little Tito. Teo (my hermann's) has one more antibiotic shot and then he will be done. I of course will take him back in for a check. But I am pretty sure he will have a clean bill of health. He is acting 100 times better already.