Help with brumating Boxy

Tito the Turtle

Location (City and/or State)
Palm Springs, CA
I'm new to the site and have been a care giver for about 8 months. Any input is appreciated. A little background, my neighbor found Tito in her backyard, here in Palm Springs, and that's where our journey began. I read "Box Turtles" by Tess Cook and determined Tito is a male three-toed. I confirmed this when I witnessed him doing some penis-fanning.

Tito enjoys meal worms and fruits and berries. He eats mostly meal worms but I try to give him a balanced diet. He lives in a 40 gallon Zoo Med terrarium with a heat and UVB light. I provide a coconut fiber and reptile bark for a substrate. Half of the terrarium has coconut fiber and the other half is the bark.

Here is where I need input on the topic of this thread. According to Tess Cook, Box Turtles, pg 101 "newly acquired should not be hibernated. Keep them awake and indoors during winter. Maintain moist bedding at all times and increase the temperature a few degrees. Have the lights stay on 14 hours..." Well guess what...Tito has been asleep for a week now. Tito has been eating and drinking like a horse up until he went to sleep. Now what should I do? Let him sleep or wake him. I'm certain his gut is loaded with meal worms and strawberries.