Please Help! (hard water stains??)

Pixie Dust

Location (City and/or State)
India
Hey everyone! I'm new here. I need help. I have been keeping a star tortoise since last 2 yrs. His name is mallu? I noticed so many white lines on its shell. I'm worried if they are growth lines or something else? His shell looks dry too.

20200905_151637.jpg
20200905_151802.jpg

This is how he looks when he is wet.
20200906_235204.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hey everyone! I'm new here. I need help. I have been keeping a star tortoise since last 2 yrs. His name is mallu? I noticed so many white lines on its shell. I'm worried if they are growth lines or something else? His shell looks dry too.

View attachment 305501
View attachment 305502

This is how he looks when he is wet.
View attachment 305503
The lines are calcium deposits from the water which dries on the tortoise after it is washed and/or soaked, etc. You can get them off with vinegar and a toothbrush. Unless you use some type of softened water for soaking the tortoise, you will have to do this periodically. Just be careful not to get vinegar in its eyes.

Pixie Dust

India
The lines are calcium deposits from the water which dries on the tortoise after it is washed and/or soaked, etc. You can get them off with vinegar and a toothbrush. Unless you use some type of softened water for soaking the tortoise, you will have to do this periodically. Just be careful not to get vinegar in its eyes.
Thank You so much!! I will try it and gonna be extra careful. ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can also polish the shell with a little mineral oil (parafin oil). Apply a small amount of oil and rub it into the shell with a soft cloth. Allow it to soak in for a few minutes, then polish it off with an absorbent cloth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Beautiful tortoise! :)

After soaking, and throughout the day, you can spray your tortoise with distilled water, reverse osmosis water, or collected rainwater. All three of these contain no minerals, so they won't cause hard water stains. In fact, in time, they will dissolve and remove any hard water stains. Don't use any of these three for soaking or drinking water. They need the minerals in their drinking water.

Pixie Dust

India
You can also polish the shell with a little mineral oil (parafin oil). Apply a small amount of oil and rub it into the shell with a soft cloth. Allow it to soak in for a few minutes, then polish it off with an absorbent cloth.
Thank you for the reply! I will try it. ?

Pixie Dust

India
Beautiful tortoise! :)

After soaking, and throughout the day, you can spray your tortoise with distilled water, reverse osmosis water, or collected rainwater. All three of these contain no minerals, so they won't cause hard water stains. In fact, in time, they will dissolve and remove any hard water stains. Don't use any of these three for soaking or drinking water. They need the minerals in their drinking water.
Thank you:) I use underground water for soaking, drinking and spraying. I will use distilled or rainwater from now on. Thanks for the help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you:) I use underground water for soaking, drinking and spraying. I will use distilled or rainwater from now on. Thanks for the help!
Don't use distilled for drinking or soaking. Only use it for rinsing after a soak, and spraying the carapace or enclosure. Just want to make sure that is clear.

Pixie Dust

India
Don't use distilled for drinking or soaking. Only use it for rinsing after a soak, and spraying the carapace or enclosure. Just want to make sure that is clear.
Yeah I got it .I will use distilled water only for spraying... Thanks ?

Reactions: Tom