Please Help me identify Bailey

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiknbknks

5 Year Member
Bailey was found in northeastern Kansas by a local pond. I'm not sure what kind he/she is. I think it is a girl, but not sure. Bailey is about the size of a quarter. I hope the pictures are clear enough. Please and thank you to any and all help trying to figure this baby out. I want to keep it, but need more info.

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 117
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 107
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 109

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jaime:

The only water turtle I can for sure, 100%, identify is the Red ear slider...but I'm taking a stab that Bailey is a Western Painted turtle.

There may be laws governing the capture and collection of wild turtles in your state, so read up on it to be sure it's ok to take in Bailey.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I'm guessing Western Painted too (but I don't know a lot about aquatics.) He's a cutie!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Indeed Chrysemys picta belli. You won't be able to determine the sex until around 4 inches at least in this subspecies, but nothing wrong with wishful thinking...

bellii*

kiknbknks

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your responses. I'm not sure how old Bailey is, but she can't be that old. She is smaller than a quarter. I have tried giving her freeze dried meal worms, reptile sticks that go in the water, and freeze dried baby shrimp. I have not seen her eat anything. What do I do now?

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Try these ImageUploadedByTortForum1369413972.547117.jpg
Worms from a gas station, if it won't eat it whole cut it into pieces
And if that doesn't work buy a piece of tilapia from the grocery store and give it little pieces.
Once you get it eating one thing it will usually start eating most things offered

She definitely just hatched this spring, no older than a month old

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.