Please help me is this My tortoise

Pixiewoods

Location (City and/or State)
Napa ca
I lost my turtle six and a half months ago when I moved to Florida. He got out day one when my mom left a gate open. He instantly went to a huge forest area, which we searched endlessly. A week ago somebody found a sulcata. he comes to his name and he lets me put him on his head just like my Tito did. But he looks so much bigger. I’m wondering if him being on his own and finally being in the right human climate for his shell if he just had a huge growing spurt. I have this turtle at my house now, but I just don’t know if it’s my beloved turtle or not can anybody tell me if significantly in six eating all they want?? The first 3 pictures are of the new tortoise, the last 3 are of my beloved Tito. Please somebody help me. I’m desperate to know if this is my tortoise.

Attachments

• IMG_2325.png
    IMG_2325.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2338.png
    IMG_2338.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2329.jpeg
    IMG_2329.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2328.png
    IMG_2328.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2326.png
    IMG_2326.png
    687.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2340.png
    IMG_2340.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I lost my turtle six and a half months ago when I moved to Florida. He got out day one when my mom left a gate open. He instantly went to a huge forest area, which we searched endlessly. A week ago somebody found a sulcata. he comes to his name and he lets me put him on his head just like my Tito did. But he looks so much bigger. I’m wondering if him being on his own and finally being in the right human climate for his shell if he just had a huge growing spurt. I have this turtle at my house now, but I just don’t know if it’s my beloved turtle or not can anybody tell me if significantly in six eating all they want?? The first 3 pictures are of the new tortoise, the last 3 are of my beloved Tito. Please somebody help me. I’m desperate to know if this is my tortoise.
I am not an expert, though certainly they look very similar, and you say he responds to you.He needs a home, and you can give him one - please do.
Angie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure. Yours is more pyramided then this one seems. However, as they grow in better conditions, the pyramiding will start to not look as bad. That might be why it looks better on the found one.
It's hard to say if he is responding to you calling him or just the fact the humans in a tortoises life is the food god. My leopards respond to me if I call them. However, it's really them just coming to see me on their own, Incase I have food for them.
@Tom might be able to help better with the size growth and pyramiding changes.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think it is your tortoise going from the shape of the head, which is rather pointed looking. But he does need a home, right? Especially if you stop putting him on his head😲

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We only see the right side of the first tortoise and only the left of the new found one. We need to see the same side for both. I can see a distinguishing mark on the send right front marginal scute on your original tortoise, but I can't see that scute on the new guy. That scute anomaly would still be there. Show us a picture of the right front side of the new guy?

Pixiewoods

Napa ca
We only see the right side of the first tortoise and only the left of the new found one. We need to see the same side for both. I can see a distinguishing mark on the send right front marginal scute on your original tortoise, but I can't see that scute on the new guy. That scute anomaly would still be there. Show us a picture of the right front side of the new guy?

Pixiewoods

Napa ca
These are both sides of the new tortoise. Please lmk what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_2750.jpeg
    IMG_2750.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2749.jpeg
    IMG_2749.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1

Pixiewoods

Napa ca
I am not an expert, though certainly they look very similar, and you say he responds to you.He needs a home, and you can give him one - please do.
Angie
He does come to his name so figured probably tortoises in captivity that have been pets. Probably come because I think you have food? The people that found him want to keep him and that’s why I’m really trying to find out if he’s mine or not.

Pixiewoods

Napa ca
I think it is your tortoise going from the shape of the head, which is rather pointed looking. But he does need a home, right? Especially if you stop putting him on his head😲
❄️
I added two more pictures Tom I’m hoping you can help

JoJosMom

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake, CA
The first 3 photos to me look different from the last 3 photos. What I notice is the first 3 photos, the front of the carapace is shaped like a hat with a bill and the other 3 photos are not. If that makes sense? I strongly do not believe this is your tortoise.

Last edited:

JoJosMom

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake, CA
He is in my my backyard currently. But the people that found him really want a tortoise so we’re trying to figure out if he is mine or not otherwise, I will give him back.
I hope that you and the folks that found it "wanting a tortoise" know that this tortoise will outlive you! This tortoise will reach 150+ pounds and be VERY difficult to move if you needed to. They require a heated home during the winter to be kept 80-85 degrees consistently. Overnight minimum 80 and during the day 85 minimum. If either of you do not understand the dedication and life long commitment of taking in this tortoise, then the tortoise will suffer. This tortoise full grown will be VERY strong. PLEASE understand what it takes to be a Sulcata parent. There are other species of torts that aren't as large and don't demand as much care.

Pixiewoods

Napa ca
I hope that you and the folks that found it "wanting a tortoise" know that this tortoise will outlive you! This tortoise will reach 150+ pounds and be VERY difficult to move if you needed to. They require a heated home during the winter to be kept 80-85 degrees consistently. Overnight minimum 80 and during the day 85 minimum. If either of you do not understand the dedication and life long commitment of taking in this tortoise, then the tortoise will suffer. This tortoise full grown will be VERY strong. PLEASE understand what it takes to be a Sulcata parent. There are other species of torts that aren't as large and don't demand as much care.
I’ve had my tortoise since he was the size of a quarter. He did stay with family friends when we moved to Hawaii and we could not bring him because he was not native to the island and they declined my request. But when we got them back. They hadn’t been taking the best care of him and that’s how he ended up with the pyramid shell Has been kept under care. He’s been doing really great and we love him dearly. That is why I do not want to take on another tortoise unless I know it is mine for sure because of the commitment that is involved.

Pixiewoods

Napa ca
The first 3 photos to me look different from the last 3 photos. What I notice is the first 3 photos, the front of the carapace is shaped like a hat with a bill and the other 3 photos are not. If that makes sense? I strongly do not believe this is your tortoise.
The first three Tito and the last three are the new guy. Would you mind looking at the picture where the guys circled the lines on the front of the tortoise those look exactly the same? What are your thoughts on that? I appreciate everyone’s time.