Please help...My Russian tortoise eyes shut, not eating.

zfxzyl

5 Year Member
When I enlarge that fourth pic where his head is somewhat in his shell....it looks like he has white mucus in his nostrils????? You may want to have an experienced reptile vet test the white mucus to make sure it is not and infection....
Hi ascott, thanks for taking carefully look at the pics.
His nostrils are actually nice and clean, no discharge ever..

zfxzyl

5 Year Member
BTW, we actually had another Russian tortoise in this same enclosure with same setting for about 2 month before selling out. That one never had eye issues... Keeping wondering what is wrong with this guy...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi ascott, thanks for taking carefully look at the pics.
His nostrils are actually nice and clean, no discharge ever..

Oh good....where did the other tortoise come from that was in the same enclosure? Was there a reason that you sold the other tortoise? Was this tort and the other tort ever in the same enclosure together?

zfxzyl

5 Year Member
Oh good....where did the other tortoise come from that was in the same enclosure? Was there a reason that you sold the other tortoise? Was this tort and the other tort ever in the same enclosure together?
Hi Ascott, I bought them from same breeder and sold the other one because my friend really wanted to buy him :p, they were not together.
Actually, the sick tortoise is now almost recovered!! Good appetite, just not as active as before. Got a new problem just yesterday after we used coco coir as substrate. Will post a new thread.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Keep soaking him & use an eye wash to clean his eyes.

Your substrate should never be dusty. Pour in water, don't just spray. Dust can irritate the eyes.