Please help! Need good vet recommendation in Phoenix area quick!!!

agintz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
I recently brought Ginger to the vet for an RI. They ran tests on her poo and also recommended a deworming med. They took her into another room for the deworming and when brought back, they said it was a huge struggle to get it down. She was completely tucked into her shell, and did not come out until the next day. Before leaving, the tech performed the first antibiotic shot and sent us home. When I took her out the next day (because she would not come out on her own) we noticed she was limping pretty badly. I called the vet, they said she was probably just soar from the injection. The next day I brought her back (uninvited) and insisted the doctor take a look at her. He said she seemed to have some strength in both arms, but of course, she would not walk for him. The tech mentioned (again) the struggle and said the arm may just be strained and that I should send a video. The next day I did send a video along with a list of questions..what to do, not to do..and they did not respond. I called again the following day and the doc said they doubted she could have been injured in the struggle because sulcatas are so strong, said it may be nerve damage from the shot and should get better within two weeks or so. I would like to have an xray taken, but probably somewhere else. I am hoping to find someone with a lot of tortoise experience. I just dont know what to believe at this point, but want the best for my lil tort. Please help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know how far apart Phoenix and Tucson are, but Dr. Jarchow is probably the best darned tortoise vet in Arizona. And he's been doing it for many years.

These are the Phoenix vets we have on our list, but the Forum doesn't vouch for any of them. We only know that they said they are exotic vets.
Camelwest Animal Hospital
10045 W. Camelback Road #105
Phoenix, AZ 85037
Tel: 623-377-9763

Michail J. Kiedrowski, DVM
4815 E. Carefree Hwy
Suite 116
Cave Creek, AZ
Tel: (480) 595-5731

Sheri Sabo, DVM
VCA Northern Animal Hospital
2611 W. Northern Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85051
Tel: (602) 995-0460

Dr. Jay Johnson
University Animal Hospital
2500 S. Hardy Dr
Tempe, AZ 85282
Tel: (480) 968-9275
Fax: (480) 967-6353

Palm Glen Animal Hospital
Dr. Bernard Mangone
7771 North 43rd Avenue Phoenix, AZ 85051
623-688-5362

agintz

5 Year Member
Phoenix
Thanks. Tuscon is a couple of hours away, but i still may consider it if there is no improvement soon. She cant take more than a few steps before laying back down.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it comes to that, here's his info:

James Jarchow
Orange Grove Animal Hospital
(520) 877-2626
3091 W. Orange Grove Rd
Tucson, AZ 85741

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I'm sorry to hear the problem with your vet. I wish I had a name for you, but have never had RV to a vet here.
If I had to take RV, I'd call my dog vet (who I trust) for the name of a referral.. Who was the vet you had the initial issue with?
(just in case, I don't want to take RV to the wrong doc)
My best wishes for you and your tort.

teri

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
I do not know what vet you took your tortoise to, but the one I use is:
Avian & Exotic Animal Clinic

Address: 7 E Palo Verde St #1, Gilbert, AZ 85296
Phone:(480) 706-8478upload_2016-3-29_9-28-10.png

They have been great for my DT

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Neal lives near Phoenix, at least he did before he moved, not sure he still does. Maybe he can recommend someone.

agintz

5 Year Member
Phoenix
That is the vet i went to, the one in Mesa. I guess i still want to beleive it is a good vet..giving them a chance to redeem themselves. Im sure they didnt mean to hurt her, but they did :( We go in today for an xray and another parasite treatment. Wish us luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are they injecting your tortoise with? Some injectables, like Baytril, are caustic and will burn the muscle and skin at the injection site. There are other, better drugs to use, if drugs are even necessary.

Tortoises do not get sick for no reason. Did you and the vet determine the CAUSE of the RI and fix that problem? Its usually cold temperatures, especially at night. If you continue with the harsh drugs, but don't solve the root of the problem, your treatment will be ineffective.

How do you house this tortoise? Where does it live? Where does it spend its nights and how are you heating it?

I've personally met Dr. Richard Funk in the Phoenix area, and from what I can tell, he is very knowledgeable on tortoise care. I found this on an internet search: http://www.agreatertown.com/mesa_az/dr_richard_funk_dvm_000875878

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That is the vet i went to, the one in Mesa. I guess i still want to beleive it is a good vet..giving them a chance to redeem themselves. Im sure they didnt mean to hurt her, but they did :( We go in today for an xray and another parasite treatment. Wish us luck!

I would recommend Dr. Driggers in Gilbert http://aeacarizona.com/. Having been to most of the exotic vets, at least in the east valley, he is the only one I would recommend.

Not all vets are perfect, but as far as knowledge of tortoises and handling them, along with integrity and genuine concern for the animals, none of the others can compare.

Last edited:

agintz

5 Year Member
Phoenix
We have been using Baytril. Although, she has only received injections under the arm that has not been damaged. The first day we were there, they tested some poo and said she also needed to be treated for parasites. They took her into another room to give her that med orally and upon return stated it was "quite the struggle" to get the job done. I do believe that something happened in that process that hurt her. She does live outside, but has a 3 by 6 ft heated enclosure inside the garden shed with a doggie door to come and go as she pleases..her night temps were getting down into the mid 60's before she got sick. My bad, I was having a hard time regulating temp without having the che too close to her shell. I have since then modified the enclosure to hold heat (and humidity) better and added larger tortoise head pads underneath for better coverage. Her night temps now do not go under 80. Her RI does seem to have improved/gone away, but I still hear a little whistle sometimes when she breaths..mostly just when shes being kinda fussy. Is that normal? Her limp, on the other hand, has not improved. It seems like the problem is in her shoulder (if that makes any sense). We go back in today for an xray and she is supposed to be receiving another treatment for the parasites. I am super nervous about that since I do believe it was that struggle that damaged her. I will try to upload the video of her walking. Any advise is welcome as I am worried sick about my little tort :(

Attachments

• 2016-03-26 18.16.16.jpg
    2016-03-26 18.16.16.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 15

agintz

5 Year Member
Phoenix
So I guess its not showing as a video, dang! It is her right arm. She does have some strength, but when stepping on that side, her shell just sinks to the ground.

agintz

5 Year Member
Phoenix
Thanks, I will call Dr Driggers today for an appt.