Please help! (No appetite)

Shaif

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi friends-- please please help.

I have a baby Greek. His appetite has been very low, and now it's non existent. I've noticed that he tends to jerk his head often during the day-- almost myclonic as if he's uncomfortable. Today during his soak, I saw tiny light colored bugs on his shell. 3 bugs. They are too tiny for me to show in a picture. I removed one-- and I think it bit me! What are these horrid insects and how can I get rid of them? Is my Zeus in pain?

Thank you so much,
I'm a sad mamma.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome.

Appetite problems are almost always caused by problems with temperatures.

Please post photographs of the enclosure and lighting so we can help you.

We also need to know the four important temperatures: warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum.

I also recommend that you read these care sheets

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Greek Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You must soak your tortoise for at least 30 minutes every day while it's not eating.

Do it in a high sided bowl that he can't see over or through. The water should be warm, not hot, and come just up over the line between the shell and the plastron.

Don't worry about the bugs. They're common on the substrate. They're nothing to do with your tort not eating.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you-- so much for the replies. My main concern was the bugs. I hope they aren't biting him?

Enclosure is 3x4 feet. Mercury bulb 100 watt on the basking side. It's about 12 inches above the substrate.
Temp 100 on basking, 85 on cool side.
Humidity 70%
Substrate organic soil and bark mulch (cypress mulch)

I have worked hard to get the enclosure to the best standards. Took advice from many helpful people here.ive put 5 pill bugs in the substrate too.

But BUGS ON MY BABY?!?!

Do they ever bite?

Are some jerky repetitive neck movements ok?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474205370.649899.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474205425.795779.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474205477.437486.jpg

Thank you!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
No the bugs will not be able to bite your tort. Flies and bugs are inevitable and normal in a warm humid environment. They're detrivores feeding off the substrate, poop and foodbwaste. Some people put roly polies in their enclosure as control.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank you-- so much for the replies. My main concern was the bugs. I hope they aren't biting him?

Enclosure is 3x4 feet. Mercury bulb 100 watt on the basking side. It's about 12 inches above the substrate.
Temp 100 on basking, 85 on cool side.
Humidity 70%
Substrate organic soil and bark mulch (cypress mulch)

I have worked hard to get the enclosure to the best standards. Took advice from many helpful people here.ive put 5 pill bugs in the substrate too.

But BUGS ON MY BABY?!?!

Do they ever bite?

Are some jerky repetitive neck movements ok?

View attachment 187242View attachment 187244View attachment 187245

Thank you!
Do not worry about bugs biting your tort.

As far as appetite is concerned, it may be the temperature as @JoesMum mentioned, and it could also be the fact that the environment is still a new one to your tort. These cute animals do NOT like change, therefore they take time to adapt.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you! I'm doing carrot and pumpkin baby food soaks alternating days and trying to be patient. He's so small that it's hard not to worry, but I feel so much better having you all to turn to!
I truly appreciate the advice!