Please help- possible fungus?

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to ask if you have ever had these markings on your tortoise before. Mines a growing Russian and has got cream like spots on his shell, however it's mainly around the growth ring. I know he does not have shell rot as his plastron is looking well.
Many thanks xx
20210623_080756.jpg20210623_080820.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to ask if you have ever had these markings on your tortoise before. Mines a growing Russian and has got cream like spots on his shell, however it's mainly around the growth ring. I know he does not have shell rot as his plastron is looking well.
Many thanks xx
View attachment 327757View attachment 327758
That is a little unusual, but its not anything that would cause me to be concerned. Like Blackdog suggested, I'd review the housing, substrate, temperatures and UV. The nails and position of the back legs are what caught my eye. What substrate is the tortoise on? Any sandstone or slate? What are you using for UV? Does it ever get outside in the sun? What do you feed it? Calcium supplementation?

London
That is a little unusual, but its not anything that would cause me to be concerned. Like Blackdog suggested, I'd review the housing, substrate, temperatures and UV. The nails and position of the back legs are what caught my eye. What substrate is the tortoise on? Any sandstone or slate? What are you using for UV? Does it ever get outside in the sun? What do you feed it? Calcium supplementation?
Up until 2 weeks ago he was on the tortoise terrain from pets at home that you told me to switch out. He's now on orchid bark.
Basking temp is 32°C. Warm side is 30°C and cool side is around 26°C. The night temp rarely falls under 20°C.
His food plate is slate (which i recently just got). For uv and lighting he has the arcadia 12% UVB and uva full colour spectrum light.
His legs were only like that because he likes to sprawl out when he eats breakfast. He walks well and doesn't drag his carpace. He's also very good at climbing.
Diet includes radicchio (is that how you spell it), friseé (i.e endive leaves), lambs lettuce, romain, dandelion, bristly ox tounge, some other weeds from my garden. My nan has grape leaves and other weeds that don't grow in my garden so I'm going to pick some.
He gets a sprinkle of calcium 2-3x a week.

My garden isnt private since i live in a flat but i have taken him outside a few times, however i dont let him free roam because i have a lot of weeds in there that he can't eat.
Hopefully we're moving soon and I'll be getting him an 8 by 4 ft enclosure. This one was always going to be temporary so i could get the humidity up.
These markings only appeared around 2 days ago but he's been eating like a trooper still and excreting like normal.
If i remeber correctly, this has happened a little before but it went away, maybe its because he's growing and I've got him in an enclosure which is more humid (his previous owner had him in a table top and he's not fully grown)
Thank you both for replying xx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Up until 2 weeks ago he was on the tortoise terrain from pets at home that you told me to switch out. He's now on orchid bark.
Basking temp is 32°C. Warm side is 30°C and cool side is around 26°C. The night temp rarely falls under 20°C.
His food plate is slate (which i recently just got). For uv and lighting he has the arcadia 12% UVB and uva full colour spectrum light.
His legs were only like that because he likes to sprawl out when he eats breakfast. He walks well and doesn't drag his carpace. He's also very good at climbing.
Diet includes radicchio (is that how you spell it), friseé (i.e endive leaves), lambs lettuce, romain, dandelion, bristly ox tounge, some other weeds from my garden. My nan has grape leaves and other weeds that don't grow in my garden so I'm going to pick some.
He gets a sprinkle of calcium 2-3x a week.

My garden isnt private since i live in a flat but i have taken him outside a few times, however i dont let him free roam because i have a lot of weeds in there that he can't eat.
Hopefully we're moving soon and I'll be getting him an 8 by 4 ft enclosure. This one was always going to be temporary so i could get the humidity up.
These markings only appeared around 2 days ago but he's been eating like a trooper still and excreting like normal.

Thank you both for replying xx
All of that sounds excellent. The only thing I'd suggest is upping the basking temp to around 36C.

London
All of that sounds excellent. The only thing I'd suggest is upping the basking temp to around 36C.
no problem, will do. Xx
When i get his new vivarium, how can i fit the basking bulb to make sure it is at the right hight for the temperature? Do i need to get a dimming thermostat?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
no problem, will do. Xx
When i get his new vivarium, how can i fit the basking bulb to make sure it is at the right hight for the temperature? Do i need to get a dimming thermostat?
My preferred method is to raise or lower the fixture to get the correct basking temp under it. I check it by placing a digital thermometer directly under the bulb and letting it bake for an hour or more. I raise or lower the fixture based on the temperature.

London
My preferred method is to raise or lower the fixture to get the correct basking temp under it. I check it by placing a digital thermometer directly under the bulb and letting it bake for an hour or more. I raise or lower the fixture based on the temperature.
Sounds like a good idea, thank you?

Reactions: Tom