Please help (RF makes chirping or clucking sound)

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
My redfoot, Sarge, is a male and he's about 6 yrs old. He keeps walking around chirping. Is he sick???

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
The chirping sound is normal, I believe. Babies seem to do that.. at least all of mine did for the first year and usually at night. They don't do it so often anymore. I think adult male reds end up being noise makers, too. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes along, but I really don't think you should be concerned at all.

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
Okies Thank you, he's eating and doing well, no discharge or wheezing. Just clucking, I've had him over 2 yrs and this is 1st he's done this. He's about 8" long.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Do a search for "redfoot clucking". @Watsonpartyof4 always had great stories of her Tyrone clucking and embarrassing her in front of company. I really wouldn't worry about it if conditions are ideal. I think you just have a horny male trying to cluck for a mate lol

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
He's trying to find a lady tortoise . My male red foot will talk to tge ladies when I have him separated.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Tyrone clucks, chirps, clicks, grunts, and moans! He digs holes in his substrate and has sexy time with it. He has sexy time with his water dish, his food bowl, his rocks and anything else he can mount! He will then pace around and start all over with the noise making...sometimes for 45 mins!

It is all normal horny tort behavior! The good thing afterwards he sleeps really well! ....just like a man!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Tyrone clucks, chirps, clicks, grunts, and moans! He digs holes in his substrate and has sexy time with it. He has sexy time with his water dish, his food bowl, his rocks and anything else he can mount! He will then pace around and start all over with the noise making...sometimes for 45 mins!

It is all normal horny tort behavior! The good thing afterwards he sleeps really well! ....just like a man!

There she is! I haven't seen a Tyrone story in a while. But thanks for chiming in. I saw this thread and thought of you guys :D

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
There she is! I haven't seen a Tyrone story in a while. But thanks for chiming in. I saw this thread and thought of you guys :D
I have been so busy with work... I haven't had much time to post!

One thing I did learn ... Tyrone LOVES plums...literally... I cut a plum in half put both halves in his dish ... He ate one half ...then .. You guessed it ..climbed on top of his dish and had sexy time with the other half!

I swear I can not make this stuff up!

kellychipoos

5 Year Member

Like a man!!!! Isn't that the truth!!!! Bahahaaa

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My adult male clucks like a chicken when it rains...and this time of year it is EVERY DAY! It is usually followed by him chasing after a female for some love. The first time I ever heard it, I also was puzzled.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Male RF doing what male RF's do! And Tyrone sounds like he needs a lady friend! LOL!

ladyvalkyrie

Fort Sill, Oklahoma
This is super helpful information! My bigger male chuffs a lot, kind of like a dog, then tries to mount the smaller one (part of why I separated them). He also let out the biggest fart in the world- I thought my dog was in here with me!

My smaller male responds to the chuffing since there's a wall between them. I guess what I'm calling chuffing may be the chirp/clucking.

At least I know not to get a female, we are nowhere near ready to take in any more babies!