Please Help Russian Tortoise Baby

Zoeinthedesert

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello everyone. I am new here. I have a male and a female Russian tortoise that I rescued around 6 years ago. I found them in the trash... they both live happily in my back yard. I live in CA. They have lots to eat and water. Well, for the first time we found a baby outside this morning. Is is about the size of a silver dollar. I already soaked it in a low dish with water and put out some lettuce. This is a first for me and I am worried. Should I bring the baby indoors and make up an inclosure? I am reading all I can at this point. I want the little one to thrive. I have looked for others but haven’t found any. Thank you I appreciate any help.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You may find this to be helpful as well, even though you are not a new keeper.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
They bury their eggs usually in soft ground, shouldnt be hard to see where if you keep an eye out. They can lay 2-3 times a year though. for russians thats 2-5 eggs per clutch according to google fu.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone. I am new here. I have a male and a female Russian tortoise that I rescued around 6 years ago. I found them in the trash... they both live happily in my back yard. I live in CA. They have lots to eat and water. Well, for the first time we found a baby outside this morning. Is is about the size of a silver dollar. I already soaked it in a low dish with water and put out some lettuce. This is a first for me and I am worried. Should I bring the baby indoors and make up an inclosure? I am reading all I can at this point. I want the little one to thrive. I have looked for others but haven’t found any. Thank you I appreciate any help.
Hello and welcome. Congrats on the new baby! There are likely more of them.

What part of CA are you in? Different advice for Big Bear vs. Big Sur...

The most important thing for babies is to soak them daily. Dehydration will kill them fast. Also, don't look elsewhere on the internet, and don't ask for help from vets or pet shops, or you will likely get bad care advice and the wrong products.

Zoeinthedesert

California
Hello and welcome. Congrats on the new baby! There are likely more of them.

What part of CA are you in? Different advice for Big Bear vs. Big Sur...

The most important thing for babies is to soak them daily. Dehydration will kill them fast. Also, don't look elsewhere on the internet, and don't ask for help from vets or pet shops, or you will likely get bad care advice and the wrong products.
Thank you. I live in Orange County area. I started looking for more babies but haven’t found any yet. little one seems to be doing well so far. Thank you all for the soaking tip.