Please help to identify my Tortoise.

Malcolm2583

Hi
I bought my tortoise 9 years ago and was told that it was an Horsefield, and that it was an female.
I have not been too bothered until recently when other people have stated that she is an Herman.
I have decided now that I think she would like an companion, so need to know for definite the following :-
1. What species the Tortoise is.
2. If she is infact an female.
Thanks in advance.

image (1).jpeg image (2).jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
1. This is a Hermann's tortoise (definitely not a Horsfield/Russian)
2. Can't see the vent in the tail to confirm sex
3. Your tortoise would not *like* a companion. You may want a second tortoise, but be prepared to house them separately.

Malcolm2583

Hi
Thanks for getting back to me. So here is my other question. In the UK I have been told that you need papers to have an Hermann. Do you know how I go about obtaining this?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Malcolm, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum .
I agree, it is a Hermann's.
I think female, but a closer shot of the underside and particularly the tail area would help tell for sure.
I have never heard of papers being required for ownership of a Hermann's but I haven't lived in the UK for many years.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
then http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
Nice to have you with us.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Female for sure, but understand that tortoise should not be kept in pairs. They do NOT want or need companionship. They are solitary creatures and and other tortoises are seen as attackers or or intruders to be attacked, NOT as "friends".

Groups with one adult male and a few females can frequently work, but not pairs of any sexes. Even the groups don't always work.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome! I have a leopard tort in the UK which was a rescue and when I took it to the vet he didn't mention that I needed papers - maybe because he was found so I don't know his history. I have read something about papers for torts but not really looked into it. Maybe breeders/pet shops issue them?

This is a good warning thread regarding keeping 2 torts.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
In the UK I have been told that you need papers to have an Hermann. Do you know how I go about obtaining this?
If you want to sell Hermanns in the EU you have to have papers to proof that they were captive breed and not wild caught because Hermanns are an endangered species. You also need papers if you want to export your tortoises or sell any offspring.

As far as I know only the breeder can make an application for papers.

Last edited:

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
If it's the same as in the Netherlands you need CITES papers. Maybe you can ask at DEFRA?

Malcolm2583

Hi
Just an heads up. I have contacted DEFRA who referred me too CITES. They have explained without any breeder details, and not knowing for certain how old she is they cannot issue an certificate. Plus they have asked for the details of where she was advertised, and purchased as an Horsfield.
Apparently here in the UK if an Tortoise has been in captivity in the same place for 2 decades you do not require any papers.
Also you cannot sell the Tortoise, or any offspring. You must give these away for free.
Hope that helps.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!;)

If you decided to buy a second tort please make sure that you do NOT keep them in the same enclosure: torts are not in need of company.:tort:

And GOD bless your cute tort.

BethP

Cleveland, UK
Hi everyone!
I’m in a similar situation! I bought what i was told was a 6 year old hermanns but I’m now thinking it’s a horsefield and when I have asked the old owner about the paperwork she has not replied ?
Can someone help me? 81223A9E-3A68-4E38-949E-5D82099E5642.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi everyone!
I’m in a similar situation! I bought what i was told was a 6 year old hermanns but I’m now thinking it’s a horsefield and when I have asked the old owner about the paperwork she has not replied ?
Can someone help me? View attachment 317849
That's a Horse field tortoise.

BethP

Cleveland, UK
Thank you! I’m annoyed cos I went out of my way to get a Herman. she was hibernating when I got her though so didn’t get old look.

All my knowledge is Herman based - I know horsefield’s like to burrow. Any other big differences I should know about before I do something wrong?

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales