Please HELP - Tortoise may be dead

peanut20

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi,

I have read many of the posts on similar topics, but wanted to get feedback just in case.

My 2 yr old hermann, Peanut, has been slightly less responsive than normal the past two days, but no other symptoms. Today we found him submerged in his bath. Usually he stays in the shallow end, but for some reason he was completely underwater. I took him out and his head and legs were limp, completely unresponsive.

I read an article on resuscitating drowned tortoises (https://tortoisegroup.org/drowning-in-tortoises/) which I followed, but still unresponsive. I have him soaking in a shallow warm bath with some pumpkin baby food and vitamin (Reptivite). It's been a couple hours but he is completely unresponsive and all limbs are limp. Based on what I've read, I would like to watch him for another 48 hrs.

- Should I keep him in a shallow warm bath the entire time?
- When we tried to resusitate (mouth to nose), his penis came out and is still out. Anything to do about that?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi,

I have read many of the posts on similar topics, but wanted to get feedback just in case.

My 2 yr old hermann, Peanut, has been slightly less responsive than normal the past two days, but no other symptoms. Today we found him submerged in his bath. Usually he stays in the shallow end, but for some reason he was completely underwater. I took him out and his head and legs were limp, completely unresponsive.

I read an article on resuscitating drowned tortoises (https://tortoisegroup.org/drowning-in-tortoises/) which I followed, but still unresponsive. I have him soaking in a shallow warm bath with some pumpkin baby food and vitamin (Reptivite). It's been a couple hours but he is completely unresponsive and all limbs are limp. Based on what I've read, I would like to watch him for another 48 hrs.

- Should I keep him in a shallow warm bath the entire time?
- When we tried to resusitate (mouth to nose), his penis came out and is still out. Anything to do about that?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
I'd keep him warm, but remove him from the water.
For the next few hours keep him on some clean paper towels and leave him alone for a while.
Tomorrow morning you'll have your answer