Please help! (unresponsive)

Guz736

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas NV
When I got home today I peeked on my back door and saw my desert tort on my sons soccer net. I immediately went out to check on him and found him unresponsive, tangled in the net with some blood.
I soaked him in some warm water but he is not responding. His head is tucked in, eyes sunken and is limp.
Could he have passed from overheating?
I am extremely devastated. :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry. Yes could have passed from over heating very easily.
What was the temps today and was he in the sun?
Was the netting around his neck where he could have been strangled?
It sounds like he has passed. But if your not sure keep soaking him in some warm water and keep an eye on him the whole time to see if he comes too.
Again very sorry

Guz736

Las Vegas NV
The temps were in the high 80s today and he was in the sun. The netting was around his legs, two front and the right rear. How long should I be soaking him for?
I feel so guilty for not putting the soccer net away. Really beating myself up for this... I usually pick it up but forgot to pick it up today :’(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sadly they overheat very very easily. I do not know what to say but sorry. Poor little guy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know exactly how you feel. This past weekend I put a young leopard out for the first time and when I went back later to get him he was on his back, dead.

We always go through the self recriminations - I should have, it's my fault, etc.

I'm so very sorry this happened. Very sad.

Guz736

Las Vegas NV
Checked on him this morning and he is still unresponsive. He is warm to the touch and is still limp and doesn’t smell. I’m going to soak him again and see if anything changes in the next 24 hours before burying our little guy :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would probably wait until she starts to smell just to be on the safe side I don't like burying tortoise until they start to smell. That's just me though

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I am so sorry this happened. My husband has a friend whose Desert Tortoise also died from getting tangled in a soccer net. Everyone please be careful having things on the ground that your tortoise can get tangled up in. :(

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I know exactly how you feel. This past weekend I put a young leopard out for the first time and when I went back later to get him he was on his back, dead.

We always go through the self recriminations - I should have, it's my fault, etc.

I'm so very sorry this happened. Very sad.

Yvonne: I am so sorry this happened. I lost one of my Russian tortoises this year and I still cry when I think about it.