Please help

Lost

Dear tortoise enthusiasts:
I lost my daughters tortoise named Kyle after having him for 8 years. Yesterday I put him on our deck , about 5 and a half feet off the ground to be in the sun. It was 70 + degrees yesterday in IL. I've had him out there before and he seemed to perceive the drop off. I forgot about him and when we returned from a walk he was gone. I looked everywhere witin our fenced in yard yesterday , last night and this morning. There is a run off area behind our fence with catails. He used to crawl in that direction when i put him on the ground. How do I find him? Without my tort , I'm,
Lost

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi sorry to here of the loss. It's easily done and why we always says say that an outdoor enclosure is essential.

Still 20:20 hindsight isn't helpful.

So, you need posters over your community. Knocking on neighbour 's doors. Contact all local vets, rescues, the police and the SPCA to alert them that you're looking.

A tortoise must bask in the sun to be active, so the place to look is in sheltered, sunny spots in the morning when your tort will be trying to warm up.

Don't give up hope. Your tort may decide to brumate itself. Several people have been greeted by a muddy ball on a warm spring day that turns out to be their lost tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh man...so sorry that my 'Welcome to the Forum' post has to be under such sad conditions. What kind of tortoise is Kyle?

Go out first thing in the morning and watch along a wall or fence where the sun first hits. My Russian tortoises all line up along the fence to catch those first warm rays each morning.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Am so sorry to have just read that you lost our tort. :( At the same time I'd like to say that hope is the last thing to die. You never know; you might find him,and I sincerely hope you do.:)

Please keep us updated.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Also, don't forget to check craigslist, the animal shelter and local vets. And ask all of the neighborhood kids if they have seen him and offer a reward if he is found.

legan52

Chicago
Thankfully it's going to be warm again today in IL! I hope you find him soon.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So sorry he's lost and for your distress.
Try putting out some strong smelling foods they love cucumber, strawberries etc and see if that entices him out into the open but keep an eye on the spot as he could eat and go again.
Hope he's back safely soon.

Lost

Thank you all for your replies. I wish I had all this information before. I did put fliers out and I will try the strong smelling foods. Fortunately it's a sunny day again. What do you think the likelyhood of his falling off the deck?
He is a russian tort. About 5" diameter.

Attachments

• 2015-05-01_08-31-04_904.jpg
    2015-05-01_08-31-04_904.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
He probably jumped off.
Russians are famous athletes, fighters, diggers, climbers and jumpers.
Most missing tortoises are found, sometimes weeks after they went missing so don't give up hope.
Wishing you all the best.:)

Lost

He probably jumped off.
Russians are famous athletes, fighters, diggers, climbers and jumpers.
Most missing tortoises are found, sometimes weeks after they went missing so don't give up hope.
Wishing you all the best.:)
This makes me feel better. I was starting to think he was carried off by a hawk. I put some veggies out behind my fence where the wetland is. This is where i think he is. Nothing happened all day then I went to work for a couple hour, came back and saw that someone ate the kale and threw the cucumbers around. Maybe it was Kyle. Tomorrow I'll try strawberries too. If he comes back I'm going to learn more about torts and be the best mom ever.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
This makes me feel better. I was starting to think he was carried off by a hawk. I put some veggies out behind my fence where the wetland is. This is where i think he is. Nothing happened all day then I went to work for a couple hour, came back and saw that someone ate the kale and threw the cucumbers around. Maybe it was Kyle. Tomorrow I'll try strawberries too. If he comes back I'm going to learn more about torts and be the best mom ever.
A bird is a remote possibility, in my opinion, but maybe.
I still think he's escaped.
Trouble is he's so small.
Hands and knees and finger-tip searches, i'm afraid.