Please helpp

Jad Ghazaly

Location (City and/or State)
Lebanon
Guys I need help ASAP!!

I have a baby tortoise about 2 weeks old, looks to be a marginated tortoise, who is sick. He never moves when he is on the ground and has a runny nose. When I hold him, bubbles come out from his nose and he looks very discomforted. He only opens his eyes when I pick him up and when I place him down he instantly closes his eyes and sleeps. I got him 3 days ago and he hasn't eaten since. I can't take him to the vet since the only one is far in the city. And it'll be ages until we go. Please tell me what I can do to help him!! He looks very ill.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
A tortoise needs heat to bask in, UVB light for a healthy shell and bones and the correct diet.

It may already be too late for your little one as it sounds very sick indeed.

Your tortoise must be warm enough. It needs to be kept at no less than 28C day and night while it is sick. It must be able to bask, either in direct sunlight (not through a window) or under a basking lamp (reflective light bulb); the temperature directly under the basking lamp at tortoise level must be 30-35C.

As your tortoise isn't eating, it must be soaked in warm water twice a day for at least 30 minutes to prevent dehydration. Use a bowl with a flat bottom that it can't see over or through. The water should be deep enough to come just up over the join between the shell and the plastron (undershell)

UVB comes from exposure to the sun (half an hour a day outside) or from a special UVB lamp. UVB does not pass through window glass.

Photographs of your tortoise and its enclosure may help us to help you further. However, it is likely that this tortoise requires antibiotics to survive.