Please rate my set up! More info in comments.

islandtort

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
7 month old western hermanns (you can see him in the back). 40gal enclosure with doors on front and tin foil on top to make it “closed”. 75w heat bulb and 10.0 t5 tube that I need to replace probably now. Ambient heat is around 75, basking is around 95, humidity stays around 70% but sometimes it’ll drop to the high 50s so i need to find a better, more closed off top than the foil. Both lights on 13hrs on timers. Every other day I give him a soaked mazuri pellet sprinkled with herbal tortoise hay from tortoise supply, on the other days I give him either romaine, spring mix without spinach or weeds of some sort. Dust food with calcium with vit d3 about twice a month and have cuttlebone always available. Substrate is just coco coir. Some fake plants but a real ponytail palm and real spider plant as well as a spot of “broadleaf testudo seed mix” from tortoise supply. I have elevation changes so it’s not all flat ground. I soak him 1-2x per week (garden state tortoise doesn’t recommend too often because it can actually dehydrate them due to constant unnatural forces urination). I try to move his food around every few days and I put leaves in misc places so he has to search and stretch to eat. Overall he seems super happy. Never tries to escape. Drinks from his water dish often. Eats and is out almost every day. 99.9% of the nights he put himself to bed in that cave on the left that I dug out/down slightly and always keep moist/humid. His shell seems to be growing perfectly, eyes and nose are always clear and he’s pretty active. I try to handle him intermittently while also just let him live. I can now pet his head while he’s eating. I know this is a solid set up through a lot of research but I also know it might not be “perfect” so any input I would appreciate it!
0CBF713A-B35D-4354-8A7F-4097909EF8CE.jpeg

Attachments

• 45604D84-E43F-4CC7-B225-EC3E5FAD9A93.jpeg
    45604D84-E43F-4CC7-B225-EC3E5FAD9A93.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
7 month old western hermanns (you can see him in the back). 40gal enclosure with doors on front and tin foil on top to make it “closed”. 75w heat bulb and 10.0 t5 tube that I need to replace probably now. Ambient heat is around 75, basking is around 95, humidity stays around 70% but sometimes it’ll drop to the high 50s so i need to find a better, more closed off top than the foil. Both lights on 13hrs on timers. Every other day I give him a soaked mazuri pellet sprinkled with herbal tortoise hay from tortoise supply, on the other days I give him either romaine, spring mix without spinach or weeds of some sort. Dust food with calcium with vit d3 about twice a month and have cuttlebone always available. Substrate is just coco coir. Some fake plants but a real ponytail palm and real spider plant as well as a spot of “broadleaf testudo seed mix” from tortoise supply. I have elevation changes so it’s not all flat ground. I soak him 1-2x per week (garden state tortoise doesn’t recommend too often because it can actually dehydrate them due to constant unnatural forces urination). I try to move his food around every few days and I put leaves in misc places so he has to search and stretch to eat. Overall he seems super happy. Never tries to escape. Drinks from his water dish often. Eats and is out almost every day. 99.9% of the nights he put himself to bed in that cave on the left that I dug out/down slightly and always keep moist/humid. His shell seems to be growing perfectly, eyes and nose are always clear and he’s pretty active. I try to handle him intermittently while also just let him live. I can now pet his head while he’s eating. I know this is a solid set up through a lot of research but I also know it might not be “perfect” so any input I would appreciate it!
View attachment 355593
The info about soaking 1-2 times a week is absurd and wrong, but all else seems pretty good. I have been soaking babies of multiple species every day for more than 10 years. They thrive. It does not dehydrate or harm them. I start skipping days when they reach around 100 grams and I soak older torts once or twice a week.

Is the basking light a flood bulb?
Do you have a meter for the UV?
How long is the UV tube on daily?
Is there other ambient lighting?
Food should be dusted with calcium twice a week, not twice a month.

islandtort

Pennsylvania
The info about soaking 1-2 times a week is absurd and wrong, but all else seems pretty good. I have been soaking babies of multiple species every day for more than 10 years. They thrive. It does not dehydrate or harm them. I start skipping days when they reach around 100 grams and I soak older torts once or twice a week.

Is the basking light a flood bulb?
Do you have a meter for the UV?
How long is the UV tube on daily?
Is there other ambient lighting?
Food should be dusted with calcium twice a week, not twice a month.
Was hoping you’d reply! Thanks for the advice on the soaking. Glad to hear you’ve done it for so long with no issues.

The basking light is a the spotlight one from zoomed.

I don’t have a UV meter, is there one you would recommend?

The UV tube is on 13hrs with the basking lamp.

No ambient lighting hut I think I’m going to buy a led strip (like the kind behind TVs).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Was hoping you’d reply! Thanks for the advice on the soaking. Glad to hear you’ve done it for so long with no issues.

The basking light is a the spotlight one from zoomed.

I don’t have a UV meter, is there one you would recommend?

The UV tube is on 13hrs with the basking lamp.

No ambient lighting hut I think I’m going to buy a led strip (like the kind behind TVs).
Spot lights should not be used because they focus too much carapace desiccating IR-A into too small an area. Flood bulbs should be used for basking.

Solarmeter 6.5 (or the 6.5r is the same thing with a different label) is the only way to go. No other meter or method measures the specific wavelengths that our tortoises need.

UV tube should only be on for a few hours mid day at most. Ambient lighting should come for a separate LED source that is bright and "sunny" looking. You can use strip LEDs or screw-in type LED bulbs. Either are fine. Get bulbs or strips in the 5000-6500K color range. This info should be on the package.

There is much more info here, but specifically for you, there is a heating and lighting breakdown, and a temperate species care sheet at the bottom.

islandtort

Pennsylvania
Spot lights should not be used because they focus too much carapace desiccating IR-A into too small an area. Flood bulbs should be used for basking.

Solarmeter 6.5 (or the 6.5r is the same thing with a different label) is the only way to go. No other meter or method measures the specific wavelengths that our tortoises need.

UV tube should only be on for a few hours mid day at most. Ambient lighting should come for a separate LED source that is bright and "sunny" looking. You can use strip LEDs or screw-in type LED bulbs. Either are fine. Get bulbs or strips in the 5000-6500K color range. This info should be on the package.

There is much more info here, but specifically for you, there is a heating and lighting breakdown, and a temperate species care sheet at the bottom.
Just ordered the 6.5r. What number should I be looking for? Will get a flood bulb as well and an led strip.