Surprise Leopard hatchlings

Mellan3

Location (City and/or State)
Pretoria
Hi, I'm new to this forum - and a new tortoise Mum!

After we experienced some very hot , humid and rainy weather back in March we were pleasantly surprised to find 19 Leopard tortoises in our garden!!

We never owned a tortoise (so it was definitely not expected) but we are so happy!

Don't worry, we're not keeping them all - they will be taken to a reptile rescue center that focuses on releasing them back into their natural habitat.

See attached pics for all the cuteness!IMG-20240330-WA0007.jpgIMG-20240330-WA0011.jpg20240330_145636.jpg20240330_145622.jpg20240328_155138.jpgIMG-20240325-WA0007.jpg20240322_112743.jpg20240321_144311.jpg

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!
This is an incredible finding!

For hatchlings it is important to be hydrated to stay healthy and daily warm bath will help with this greatly.

You can check this post for care information:
As they are going to be released to the wild, you, probably, won't need an indoors enclosure but routines and diet still apply.

Mellan3

Pretoria
Hello and welcome!
This is an incredible finding!

For hatchlings it is important to be hydrated to stay healthy and daily warm bath will help with this greatly.

You can check this post for care information:
As they are going to be released to the wild, you, probably, won't need an indoors enclosure but routines and diet still apply.
Hey Alex!

Thanks so much for caring! Luckily I've done alot of research and i have been giving them their daily bath!

I've also used a website called the tortoise table to ensure i am feeding them the best natural diet!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Great to know! I wish you joy and good luck with them!

TortoiseTable is a great resource, but UK-centric. Many plants you have growing natively in your area are just aren't mentioned there. But you may search this forum or just ask (there are a few members here, who are very knowledgeable about the plants).

Looking forward to more updates and photos from you! These little ones are immensely cute :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

What a wonderful surprise!! You're lucky to be living in the tortoises' natural area.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
19 babies! Wow. That is likely from at least 3 different clutches.

Soak them daily. Keep them warm and humid and mostly indoors. Outdoors all day is not good for babies even in their native range. We see this with sulcatas, desert tortoises and other species. Indoors helps babies thrive.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
19 babies! Wow. That is likely from at least 3 different clutches.

Soak them daily. Keep them warm and humid and mostly indoors. Outdoors all day is not good for babies even in their native range. We see this with sulcatas, desert tortoises and other species. Indoors helps babies thrive.
They aren't keeping them, they are turning them over to a reptile rescue that focuses on release back into the wild
But, couldn't they just let them go seeing they are wild and in their native land like we would do if we found wild turtle or tortoise babies hatching in the wild?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They aren't keeping them, they are turning them over to a reptile rescue that focuses on release back into the wild
But, couldn't they just let them go seeing they are wild and in their native land like we would do if we found wild turtle or tortoise babies hatching in the wild?
Until that time, my advice stands.

If they have been cared for in captivity, they should not be released into the wild. Pathogens could be introduced into the wild that way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Until that time, my advice stands.

If they have been cared for in captivity, they should not be released into the wild. Pathogens could be introduced into the wild that way.
They have only been cared for since they found them which was today I believe and looks like they have been left outside, fed, and possibly soaked. Then when they get them turned over to the reptile place, they too will return them to the wild. They have no other tortoises, so what pathogens could there be?
I'm not understanding why we tell people to release any wild turtles/tortoises found in yards, roads, etc even after they are handled and soaked etc in the US to the wild but these tortoises can't just get released?
If they had not been found, the torts would have walked off. What's different that they were soaked and fed? I'm just not seeing it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They have no other tortoises, so what pathogens could there be?
Lots. This is how mycoplasma got into the wild DT population here, for one example.

I'm not understanding why we tell people to release any wild turtles/tortoises found in yards, roads, etc even after they are handled and soaked etc in the US to the wild but these tortoises can't just get released?
"We" don't tell people that. You might and some others might, but people who understand this sort of thing don't tell people that. If the animal just walked into an unfenced rural yard or a road, then it will not have been exposed to anything. If the tortoise has been living in an enclosure for some period of time, then the risk goes up.

If they had not been found, the torts would have walked off. What's different that they were soaked and fed? I'm just not seeing it
Many wild ones don't survive. It would be nice if these ones did.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lots. This is how mycoplasma got into the wild DT population here, for one example.

"We" don't tell people that. You might and some others might, but people who understand this sort of thing don't tell people that. If the animal just walked into an unfenced rural yard or a road, then it will not have been exposed to anything. If the tortoise has been living in an enclosure for some period of time, then the risk goes up.

Many wild ones don't survive. It would be nice if these ones did.
I still don't get it, so we'll just have to end it there. I guess I'm not going to get it.
But yes, many more tell people that. More do than don't.

Mellan3

Pretoria
Lucky you ! Are you planning to keep one of them yourself ?
Angie
Hi Zolasmum - no, unfortunately, that would not be possible, as we already have 2 big dogs and a cat that take up a lot of time and energy. We might keep one or two of the babies.

We won't have enough space when they start getting bigger - it would not be fair to keep them all if we do not have sufficient space.

They are going to a local reptile rescue center that rehabilitates and releases them into a nearby nature reserve called Dinokeng (very famous nature reserve in South Africa) where they will be protected, as all tortoise species in South Africa are protected wildlife and require permits to be kept as pets.

We feel that giving them a chance to be out in nature when the time comes would be the best outcome to this situation.

I feel the need to specify that because captive animals often have illnesses that might be a problem in the wild - the rescue and rehabilitation centers in south africa do a lot of hard work to ensure that animals are only released if they have be throughly rehabilitated and treated for any illnesses. ESPECIALLY since tortoises are protected species here.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi Zolasmum - no, unfortunately, that would not be possible, as we already have 2 big dogs and a cat that take up a lot of time and energy. We might keep one or two of the babies.

We won't have enough space when they start getting bigger - it would not be fair to keep them all if we do not have sufficient space.

They are going to a local reptile rescue center that rehabilitates and releases them into a nearby nature reserve called Dinokeng (very famous nature reserve in South Africa) where they will be protected, as all tortoise species in South Africa are protected wildlife and require permits to be kept as pets.

We feel that giving them a chance to be out in nature when the time comes would be the best outcome to this situation.

I feel the need to specify that because captive animals often have illnesses that might be a problem in the wild - the rescue and rehabilitation centers in south africa do a lot of hard work to ensure that animals are only released if they have be throughly rehabilitated and treated for any illnesses. ESPECIALLY since tortoises are protected species here.
Just in case - don't keep two babies, as they will need two separate pens. They thrive either alone or in well-formed groups with lots of space. Living in pair is often a death sentence to one of them.