PLEASE SOMEONE HELP (tortoise upside down)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Like I said a doubt it's a tempature or humidity issue. I appreciate all the help. I'm think this is more of a neurological issue
I don't there is anything wrong with your tortoise. Some tortoises love to climb, then they fall. You have to figure out why and design the enclosure so they don't have anything they can flip on. It also needs to be big enough and interesting enough that they don't feel trapped. There needs to be places to hide. From what I can see of your enclosure, it looks barren. That water bowl looks like a tipping and drowning hazard.

DrSpurred

Lambertville, NJ USA
My Terrarium is 75Gl and he is a 3inch Tortoise, and as I said before I removed all the items because I had to go to work and I needed to take everything out so I minimized the risk of him tipping. I know what I'm doing when it comes to enclosures, enrichment, and hides so it's not a issue of that.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I too doubt it's neurological, but it might be.

In the photo early on I could clearly see the reflection of your tortoise in the corner. Has this been eliminated now? Have you tried blocking access to the corners with plants, etc?

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I don't know what it is about corners, but I've had to block all of mine, too. My tort doesn't flip very often, but, when it happens, it's almost always in a corner. Blocking the corners would be a good first step.

As for temperatures...I've got four different digital devices, and all the readings are slightly different. If you already have digital temperature monitoring, you're probably good.

I've been a member here for a couple of years now, having joined about one month before I got my tortoise. Sometimes members can be blunt, but be rest assured that it comes from a good place. We may not know you, but we care about your tortoise. Just because it is a tortoise, and we love all of them.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

In the photo early on I could clearly see the reflection of your tortoise in the corner. Has this been eliminated now? Have you tried blocking access to the corners with plants, etc?

Greetings. I too noticed the reflection in the corner picture. Is it possible your tort is seeing many torts wherever he looks and feels threatened, needs to find, attack, bully? Perhaps check lights, even lower wattage bulbs just to see.... It's got to be something...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
All reflections have been removed at the beginning of the issue but he still won't stop climbing
I think the general train of this thread is that you should try to block access to the corners with decor like plants and that maybe more floor area will satisfy him.

None of us seems to think this is neurological, but we may be proved wrong in the longer run. My view is that any animal with a balance problem wouldn't get as far as climbing in the first place.

We aren't medically trained... Well not unless @deadheadvet is about as he might have seen neurolgical problems in tortoises.

DrSpurred

Lambertville, NJ USA
I think the general train of this thread is that you should try to block access to the corners with decor like plants and that maybe more floor area will satisfy him.

None of us seems to think this is neurological, but we may be proved wrong in the longer run. My view is that any animal with a balance problem wouldn't get as far as climbing in the first place.

We aren't medically trained... Well not unless @deadheadvet is about as he might have seen neurolgical problems in tortoises.

All corners have been blocked when I readded all of his Terrarium decor

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So you get building... take a look at the enclosures forum. This is a Sulcata, they don't stay small for very long at all. Your baby will hit 100lb all too quickly. They roam huge distances in the wild and we have to keep this in mind for those kept in captivity. People have joined plastic tubs together, Christmas Tree boxes, joined marine ply and bought a sheet of plexglass for the front...

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
It's not reflective, I lined the outside and inside with black electrical tape so it's impossible to for any reflection to occur, he seems so off now, he won't move and just seems very ill (i know when there is something wrong with my tortoise). I just can't pinpoint what exactly the issue is.
Looking at your posted photo of your baby, it APPEARS to be reflective...I see the reflection of the little guy on that right side wall.

DrSpurred

Lambertville, NJ USA
I'm not in the area to be getting him a new tank, I am transferring down to St Petersburg College in the spring and I plan on giving him most of the backyard.

Bambam1989

East Texas
A 75gallon aquarium can be various dimensions. You need to consider the actual floor space. I've got a 95 gallon aquarium (it's actually used for fish) that uses the same floor space as my mother's 75.
Visual barriers(Decorations) can help break line of site and give him more areas to explore.

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
Good luck on your move... however, keep in mind spring is a long time from now and “most of the backyard” isn’t necessarily what your baby sulcata needs right now

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I'm not in the area to be getting him a new tank, I am transferring down to St Petersburg College in the spring and I plan on giving him most of the backyard.
A baby will still need to be kept indoors most of the time.

DrSpurred

Lambertville, NJ USA
Guys I appreciate all the help and everything I really do but I don't believe the enclosure, tempature, humidity, or enrichment items are the issue to this. I believe all of the questions that were asked are beginning and if not are very rhetorical and I find myself to keep answering the same questions. Like I said I appreciate all the help but if u still wish to put in ur input please read this post from the first comment so u know exactly what's going on because i really wanna get to the bottom of this issue but i keep getting asked the same question by the Same people. Please don't think I am being rude, I just want the best for my Sulcata and me answering the same questions isn't helping, I really appreciate everyone's concern and please don't think i am trying to be rude.