Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Photo 7

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Every year our employer sponsors a photo contest (it's a hospital so everyone is an amateur). Last year, we made it as a finalist in the animal category with a tortoise photo. Again, this year, we would really appreciate everyone's vote as to the best picture. We can submit 4 so we have to throw 3 of these out. Which would you choose?

Also, do you have any witty or cute ideas for titles for the pictures?

Photo 1
20090623_6259.jpg

Photo 2
20090510_4791copy.jpg

Photo 3
20090510_4224copy.jpg

Photo 4
20090528_5620.jpg

Photo 5
20090510_4751copy.jpg

Photo 6
20090510_4258.jpg

Photo 7
20090510_4592copy.jpg

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I too loved photo 4 "Just a nibble" Your dog looks as if he is taking just a little nibble of that green. Kind of look like parsley perhaps he just wants to sweeten his breath a bit before giving you kisses :D.
I voted but only got the one vote in for #4. I love the crinkle of the dogs nose. Who doesn't like doggies. :)
I also liked in this order:
#5 The mushroom is clear and crisp looking with the close forground and background slightly blured. Lending interest and a focus point to the center ie the mushroom.
#7 The other mushroom. again the mushroom and pine cones are the focus point allowing everything else to slightly blur.
#6 the ocean. It's monocromic (is it even a word?) qualities of the pic with the white caps on the waves give a feeling I think most people understand, cold, dreery yet peaceful.

I wanted to vote for your tort pic but to me is just seemed too busy (sorry).

Nice pics all of them. Good luck and hoping for a win this year. :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I voted photo #4 because it was my favorite (the dog is so cute :D) but all of your pics are amazing.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago
Great shots!
I messed with three of them (my three favorites), I hope you do not mind.
If you do, I'll delete them from here, and please accept my apology.
But I thought a little touch up in contrast and curves would help "pop" some of the colors, and I cropped the mushroom shots for compositional purposes.
I think cropping them makes them appear a little neater, less distracting, and really makes the viewer focus on the focal point of the shot.
I also sharpened them.

I LOVE this shot. I envy you being able to get close to the ocean like that!
oceanview.jpg

mushroom1.jpg

I really love this one, too!
mushroom2.jpg

Like I said, if you don't like them, I can delete them from here.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Robyn and Tim It's very hard to decide as they are all very well taken. I chose #3 I think I remembered this was from one of your vacations that you recently took. Of course I could be wrong on the time frame. :( Let us know who wins it will be very exciting to see. :D

laurun3

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
I'm a big fan of photo #2. I like the shallow depth of field. I also enjoy that the sprout of new growth is crisp. The image has a whimsical effect.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Love #7, gonna vote for it. The colors remind me of fall, WHICH I LOVE.. So with that said, will that hurt you in the contest? I mean is it a summertime theme? The doggie looks like a fox in that picture.. :) I had to take a second glance at it.. lol..

Great pictures.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Wow, thanks for everyone's input. Even the cropping/altering! Its so fun to see what others value in "good" photography. So we took everyone's advice, again this year, and submitted photos 1,3,4,6 (your votes). Decided not to crop any, though this was a tough decision. We'll see if any win the contest. The one from last year will be returned to us and they've matted and framed it. Sweet! We should know the result of the contest in about 2 weeks. By the way, one of us (Robin) really loved the mushroom photos, but clearly not the group vote so none were submitted. Thanks again!! :D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Tim/Robin said:
Wow, thanks for everyone's input. Even the cropping/altering! Its so fun to see what others value in "good" photography. So we took everyone's advice, again this year, and submitted photos 1,3,4,6 (your votes). Decided not to crop any, though this was a tough decision. We'll see if any win the contest. The one from last year will be returned to us and they've matted and framed it. Sweet! We should know the result of the contest in about 2 weeks. By the way, one of us (Robin) really loved the mushroom photos, but clearly not the group vote so none were submitted. Thanks again!! :D

The mushrooms pictures are gorgeous pictures it's just that I liked the mystery of #3. :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Heh, Tim and Robin did any of your pics win this year? I know they (1,3,4,6) have been submited by now. Is the judging over? Been holding my breath waiting to find out and I'm starting to turn blue. :p

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Crazy1 said:
Heh, Tim and Robin did any of your pics win this year? I know they (1,3,4,6) have been submited by now. Is the judging over? Been holding my breath waiting to find out and I'm starting to turn blue. :p

Thanks for asking, Robyn. The darn contest must be rigged. None of ours even made it to the finalists. Some that did looked like they were swiped from the web. I'm a sore loser, can you tell? Oh heck with photo contests at hospitals anyway! There's an even better one about to start RIGHT HERE! Yipeee!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Tim/Robin said:
Crazy1 said:

Thanks for asking, Robyn. The darn contest must be rigged. None of ours even made it to the finalists. Some that did looked like they were swiped from the web. I'm a sore loser, can you tell? Oh heck with photo contests at hospitals anyway! There's an even better one about to start RIGHT HERE! Yipeee!

I can't believe none of your pictures won they were beautiful. I was actually showing my son Noah the pictures today in the contest and I told him that I can't wait to see what Tim/Robyn post. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.