Pond filtration

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

nootnootbu

USA
Maybe in the future. And yeah, dirt does run off and aquatic plants usually don't last long because of the turtles. Water hyacinth and duck weed usually last the longest, but thanks for the link.
I've had good luck with Hornwort with my turtles as they don't like the taste and don't eat much of it, but it IS edible and safe, just not tasty. It also doesn't have to be rooted on the bottom, you just toss it in and it's fine floating.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
A couple of observations from the posts and comments above;

Running a long, smaller gauge extension cord (looks like 16ga wire) will certainly burn out your pump much earlier. 16ga wire is not meant to deliver 110V power that distance. Running a motor on undersized wire will cause the motor to age quickly.

For @Yvonne G -(sorry Yvonne, but I didn't see what you were using when I was there last week!) A 1HP motor on a 600 gal pond is overkill and results in spending too much on electrical. I use a 400 watt motor to filter my 10,000 gal pond and I never have green water. A 1 HP motor draws 750 watts. That's 18KWH per day. If you are a PG&E customer that will cost you about $7 per day! Where I am on a local utility district, it still would cost About $2.60 a day.

To filter a smaller pond, I like to have my water volume turn over 1x per hour. A larger pond 1x in 2 hours. That is more than most pond builders will recommend, but I have turtles in there! So for Yvonne, I would use a 600 or maybe even 1000 GPH pump. (Gallon Per Hour) For @DoubleD1996! it looks to me like your pond is maybe about 1000 gal so I also would go 1000 GPH pump.

Here's an example of what both of you could use, and its even 1600 GPH. Costs less and only draws 100 watts. So uses less than 1/7th the electricity! It also will probably be better for your DIY filters. Many folks make the mistake of running too much water through those filters and the bacteria never establishes the way it would with a slower, more gentle, even flow. With too much flow, the water will start to channel and bypass much of the filter media as it needs a more unobstructed way to get that volume through.

1600 GPH pump.jpg

And your you, @DoubleD1996! the smaller ga wire would be required on only 100 watt draw. I still would go with 12 ga wire if over 100 feet - if you can do that!