Poop problem

senghor hobbs

I recently purchased a about 5-6 inch redfoot tortoise for first choice reptiles (horrible experience) but as soon as the tortoise got to me weeks later, it pooped and there were many white small rocks in its poop. It didn't eat as usual but I figured it was from the trip it had from Florida to Ohio. It started eating from me but eventually stopped and just stayed in one spot for like 2 days straight. I still soaked it everyday and tried to feed but no luck. He pooped and there still were the things in its poop. I though it could of ate rocks where I got him from and I thought he went into a slow down state because it is winter time in ohio. I want to know what could this be and how can it be fixed?

Kori5

I hope someone experienced will help you. I would soak him everyday in warm water. White rocks could be uric acid which should be creamy when the tortoise is hydrated or it could be rocks it ate.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I hope he is OK.
Are his temps and humidity high enough?
if you look in the redfoot section you'll find some tips there.
Maybe @Redfoot NERD or @ZEROPILOT or @Anyfoot can help so I've tagged them so they'll see your post.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises that come from the rain forest eat quite a bit of fruits containing seeds. This seems to aid in digestion (?????). At any rate, it moves the seeds around the forest floor to start new plants. So, if you don't feed your RF tortoise something containing seeds, he's going to eat little pebbles or rocks, if he can find them.

Because it sounds as if your tortoise chowed down on white rocks, he may be having a bit of a problem trying to pass them. For a little while, try feeding him very moist foods to help push the rocks out. Things like aloe vera, cooked squash, even iceburg lettuce. Another thing that helps push food out would be fiber or grass.

senghor hobbs

I have no pictures because lately all my rf does is jus stay in one spot unless I get him out for his soaking. Last time he ate was about 1 week ago and I spray his enclosure down everyday. He just won't eat for me and I thought that's what it was because the first day I got him, he pooped as soon as I got him out of the box he came in and that's when I noticed the rocks in there and I thought he did eat rocks I'm just worried because he hasn't ate

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
This doesn't sound right for a redfoot, mine are incredibly active to the point of driving me nuts. What are your temps? A cold tortoise wont digest food properly so it wont be eating or having bowel movements. He needs an overall temperature of 86 degrees to be healthy. I would probably even go for a little warmer to help kickstart his metabolism.

What foods are you offering? Mine will rip your fingers off for most fruits (pumpkin, squash, banana, black berries, watermelon, papaya, mango all offered sparingly) or some cucumber which is great for getting things moving. I put babyfood on top of shredded greens when my big guy is being picky.

Is your tort hiding in his shell or laying out all lethargic like? Does he seem weak?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have no pictures because lately all my rf does is jus stay in one spot unless I get him out for his soaking. Last time he ate was about 1 week ago and I spray his enclosure down everyday. He just won't eat for me and I thought that's what it was because the first day I got him, he pooped as soon as I got him out of the box he came in and that's when I noticed the rocks in there and I thought he did eat rocks I'm just worried because he hasn't ate
Hi there. How's your tort coming on. Is he feeding yet. He may take some time to settle in. Make sure you have no temperature anywhere in the enclosure below 80f and no higher than 90f. Humidity at around 80%. Also make sure the lighting is not to bright.
Feed him some papaya if you can get it. Every part of it. Seeds and skin. An healthy redfoot won't refuse papaya.
Do the white bits in his poop look like egg shell or cuttlebone or are they definitely stones?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I recently purchased a about 5-6 inch redfoot tortoise for first choice reptiles (horrible experience) but as soon as the tortoise got to me weeks later, it pooped and there were many white small rocks in its poop. It didn't eat as usual but I figured it was from the trip it had from Florida to Ohio. It started eating from me but eventually stopped and just stayed in one spot for like 2 days straight. I still soaked it everyday and tried to feed but no luck. He pooped and there still were the things in its poop. I though it could of ate rocks where I got him from and I thought he went into a slow down state because it is winter time in ohio. I want to know what could this be and how can it be fixed?
Read this, its an article wrote by one of the experienced redfoot keeper on this forum. Take note of the '4 parameters section'.
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Keeping-and-Breeding-Red-Footed-Tortoises/

senghor hobbs

I had a problem with my account but my temps and humidity are correct. I'm thinking when I know when I received the rf, it already had the problem but I can't get in contact with the company I got the tortoise from at all. And he has like mucus coming out of his cloaca and I'm worried because the nearest vet is not close to me and I'm a college student

senghor hobbs

Hi there. How's your tort coming on. Is he feeding yet. He may take some time to settle in. Make sure you have no temperature anywhere in the enclosure below 80f and no higher than 90f. Humidity at around 80%. Also make sure the lighting is not to bright.
Feed him some papaya if you can get it. Every part of it. Seeds and skin. An healthy redfoot won't refuse papaya.
Do the white bits in his poop look like egg shell or cuttlebone or are they definitely stones?
He feeds but not how a redfoot should he feeding. I soak him everyday for about an hour and he just goes to his spot and sit all day. If I don't get him out he won't move at all. And won't touch anything unless it's green. I've tried many fruits but can't find papaya in my time this time of the year

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
He feeds but not how a redfoot should he feeding. I soak him everyday for about an hour and he just goes to his spot and sit all day. If I don't get him out he won't move at all. And won't touch anything unless it's green. I've tried many fruits but can't find papaya in my time this time of the year
You are going to have to show us a photo of your enclosure and tort please.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Slimy discharge can be a sign of parasites - or it may just be because he doesn't have all the much food in his system.

senghor hobbs

This is exactly what comes out. First it was fully formed bowel movement with some pebbles and now this is all that comes out. It comes out each time I soak him and that everyday.

DSC00291.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Mixture of cypress mulch, Cocount fibers and sphagnum moss.
What temperature is that room at?

You need to make sure there is no area in its enclosure that is below 80f. Cover the enclosure so you get the ambient heat and humidity levels correct. Is the only heat source that heater?
Those gauges you are using are not very accurate, get some digital temp and humidity gauges.
That tort is perfect looking, I should get it checked over at the vet though.