Pooping more

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I was just wondering if worming your tortoise would cause it to poop more. Prior to him being wormed, he would usually only poop once a day in his bath. Now that he has had his three doses of worm medication, he has turned into a pooping machine. He still poops in his bath, but now he's going at least twice in his enclosure as well. Was wondering if the worms may have been causing some kind of blockage?

gattu&coco

india
I was just wondering if worming your tortoise would cause it to poop more. Prior to him being wormed, he would usually only poop once a day in his bath. Now that he has had his three doses of worm medication, he has turned into a pooping machine. He still poops in his bath, but now he's going at least twice in his enclosure as well. Was wondering if the worms may have been causing some kind of blockage?
Well I got my torts dewormed too and they don't poop that much after that like you described. I can't tell you much about it coz mine were fine after deworming. Get your tort checked by the vet if the problem persists too much. Take care [emoji5]

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Well I got my torts dewormed too and they don't poop that much after that like you described. I can't tell you much about it coz mine were fine after deworming. Get your tort checked by the vet if the problem persists too much. Take care [emoji5]
Thank you for the reply. Have to bring a fecal sample into the vet in another week. He doesn't have diarrhea or anything. Nice firm stool, just a heck of a lot more of it. I was just wondering if maybe he was plugged up before.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Thank you for the reply. Have to bring a fecal sample into the vet in another week. He doesn't have diarrhea or anything. Nice firm stool, just a heck of a lot more of it. I was just wondering if maybe he was plugged up before.
I haven't noticed Vlad going more after the deworming necessarily, but for a few weeks he was having some trouble with having little "accidents" in his enclosure, but that seems to be better lately.

I'd just keep an eye on things and continue to ask questions [emoji846] how's Sheldon's appetite?

daniellenc

Maryland
Worming in farm animals and house mammals can cause loose stools and more frequent stools cause because it’s an irritant to the GI tract, but no clue if this is true in reptiles. Has he recently been eating more possibly?

Zantino1

Redlands

Have you fed him any cactus recently it’s a natural laxative, my Sheldon started pooping like crazy when I fed her cactus

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I haven't noticed Vlad going more after the deworming necessarily, but for a few weeks he was having some trouble with having little "accidents" in his enclosure, but that seems to be better lately.

I'd just keep an eye on things and continue to ask questions [emoji846] how's Sheldon's appetite?
Thanks Vlad, his appetite has seemed to improved. He seems to be eating a little bit more than normal.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Worming in farm animals and house mammals can cause loose stools and more frequent stools cause because it’s an irritant to the GI tract, but no clue if this is true in reptiles. Has he recently been eating more possibly?
He has seemed to be eating a little bit more, just way more coming out than what has been in the past. I don't think it's a bad thing or anything, just kind of noticed that his routine has changed up a little.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
It still could be adding to the poop so no worries though I don’t think a tortoise could get sick or hurt from pooping to much it’s normal and it should help get worms out too
Thankyou, I didn't think it was a bad thing. Anytime I see a change in behavior, it just gets my curiosity going. Thanks again for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it[emoji4]

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
At 75 grams, should I take stool sample to vet as a check up? We have LSU vet clinic in Baton Rouge. She is acting perfect, just wondering if this is a necessary part of Sulcata care???

Jay Bagley

Michigan
At 75 grams, should I take stool sample to vet as a check up? We have LSU vet clinic in Baton Rouge. She is acting perfect, just wondering if this is a necessary part of Sulcata care???
I believe you can bring a fecal sample in at any time to get checked. It's usually pretty inexpensive. The only reason I brought one in for Sheldon, was because he was acting more lethargic and his appetite seemed to be diminishing. We decided to do treatment because his parasite load was extremely high. I don't know about one that small, this is my first tortoise. If you did need to do treatment with one that small, I would get advice for more experienced keepers on the forum.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
If you don’t notice behavior changes or see worms fecals aren’t necessary.
I have red on here where some people bring one in once a year for their own peace of mind. I only did because of the behavior changes like you said. If I would not have noticed any behavioral changes I don't think I would have.