Pooping pebbles

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
So when I built my outdoor enclosure for my 5 year old Leopard, it seemed like a good idea to make a warm gravel hill for basking. I put hens n chicks around the border. I noticed yesterday he had rocks in his poop. I do not think he ate them on purpose. I think he ate them on accident when eating the hens n chicks. I put calcium on his food about every other day. He eats several different kinds of grasses, clover, Hollyhocks, x-mas cactus, dandelions.....a variety each day. I soak him daily. Per previous posts I found info on preventing this. He has a cuddle bone and occasionally chews on it. I have removed the rock garden from his enclosure. Is there anything else I should do to ensure he is able to pass the rest of any rocks he may have ingested?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They usually ingest dirt or sand because it gets stuck on the food, but rocks or pebbles are USUALLY ingested on purpose.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would give him daily warm soaks in an area that he can move around in. The moving and warm soaks should help.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would give him daily warm soaks in an area that he can move around in. The moving and warm soaks should help.
I have an industrial size sink I soak him in. He walks continuously when soaking. Thank you.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
They usually ingest dirt or sand because it gets stuck on the food, but rocks or pebbles are USUALLY ingested on purpose.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif
What else should I be giving him. He doesn't have a problem eating the calcium powder. He eats everything.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Ouch. I do remember participating in a thread about tortoises ingesting rocks on purpose and soemone (@Flipper, do you remember who?) suggested Miner-all .

Flipper

MO, USA

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Mort seems fine. I took the rocks away from the hens n chicks and have not seen any sign of more. Thanks for the help. Crazy tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They sometimes eat rocks when they are either under supplemented OR over supplemented with calcium. Too much calcium interferes with the absorption of other minerals and trace elements, and the imbalance can lead them to eat rocks and pebbles. MinerAll will sometimes help restore the proper balance and then they quite eating the pebbles.