Possible eye infection - SEE PICTURES ATTACHED

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Any bulbs that you recommend? And it is probably a foot or two above the tortoise.
If you need indoor uv, the newer HO type bulbs are the way to go. I like the Arcadia ones from Lightyourreptiles.com. ZooMed also makes a good one. You will need a UV meter to check the levels and make sure your bulb is mounted at the correct height. The solar meter 6.5 is the standard. I don't know of any other method or meter that measures the correct UV wavelengths for our tortoises.

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
We have black hoses sitting in full sun on 100+ days here. Sometimes I'm surprised the water doesn't boil inside the hose. But even from 10 feet away, the water is significancy cooler by the time it gets to you. Not hot enough to burn. I suppose that if the hose was a foot away and not coming out of a spray type nozzle, this could be a factor.
My hose is 50 or 100 feet long (Black) and if I turn it on during this 90 degree Florida heat it will burn my hand.

Nicholas Bova

If you need indoor uv, the newer HO type bulbs are the way to go. I like the Arcadia ones from Lightyourreptiles.com. ZooMed also makes a good one. You will need a UV meter to check the levels and make sure your bulb is mounted at the correct height. The solar meter 6.5 is the standard. I don't know of any other method or meter that measures the correct UV wavelengths for our tortoises.
You seem to be very knowledable about tortoises, and many people seem to know you and vice versa. This goes for you and anyone else, ifyou know someone or would like my tortoise you are free to have him, I am in New Jersey and don’t feel comfortable shipping.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You seem to be very knowledable about tortoises, and many people seem to know you and vice versa. This goes for you and anyone else, ifyou know someone or would like my tortoise you are free to have him, I am in New Jersey and don’t feel comfortable shipping.
Wait a minute...you are giving up your tortoise? Why?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My hose is 50 or 100 feet long (Black) and if I turn it on during this 90 degree Florida heat it will burn my hand.
That is close up with your hand right next to the hose. Go stand 10 feet away, and set the hose to a spray or mist like the OP says his hose was, and tell us how hot it is then. Its still warm, but not scalding.

Nicholas Bova

Wait a minute...you are giving up your tortoise? Why?
I love him, but I also love him more to give him a home with someone more suited to care for him. Not that he is at all in bad care, he was at the vet lanfew months ago and had a very good bill of health. But I feel people are better suited with outdoor enclosures-and dedicated rooms in there homes set up for them. This was something I kinda got my self into and will be willing to learn but want to give him the best life possible. If you know anyone interested, please email me @ [email protected], or message me here or what ever.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I do agree with you guys on the heat of the water especially since it was just a mist it wasn’t cool at all before hitting the tortoise, with that being said, the eyes are not as pink and inflamed today but still don’t look normal, I will continue to monitor and flush the eyes with cool saline solution if it doesn’t seem any better. Worse case I will bring him to a vet.
Off the wall...but my bigger Sulcata named Big Sam doesn't drink very good and he gets dehydrated and his nictitating membrane goes half way across his eyeball. His eyes look bad, then I 'force' soak him, and his eyes get normal looking. Maybe your guy?

Gijoux

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I love him, but I also love him more to give him a home with someone more suited to care for him. Not that he is at all in bad care, he was at the vet lanfew months ago and had a very good bill of health. But I feel people are better suited with outdoor enclosures-and dedicated rooms in there homes set up for them. This was something I kinda got my self into and will be willing to learn but want to give him the best life possible. If you know anyone interested, please email me @ [email protected], or message me here or what ever.

Nicholas you are doing a fine job with your Tortoise. We have all had problems and all of us including Tom have made many mistakes too, before learning. You did the correct thing looking into this problem. Those darn lights are a real problem and many of us have made complaints and hopefully soon they will be off the market. I hope you don't give up. Many of us on the forum have had to make some changes. Start with replacing that light and just slowly make whatever changes you need to make.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
This is not standard advice. Some of our more experienced members when they give advice they tell all the equipment, humidity meters, UVB measuring, special UVB lights and a mess of other stuff, that can be overwhelming to a newbie. I have been involved with tortoises for a lotta years and I have never had a UVB meter, humidity meter, or any bulb besides Powersun 150 watts bulb. When someone gives advice, take what suits you and leave the rest. Please don't give up your tortoise because there's too much equipment involved. All that stuff is great to have, but you CAN do without. The only thing I think is important is a temperature gauge. And I have one and watch it carefully.
Plz reconsider...