Possible new territory.

Skip K

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Our 8 inch female Redfoot is exhibiting some signs of being egg bearing. The male? in the enclosure is too small ( 4-5 inches) to show physical male characteristics...but has exhibited some signs of being a male. I’ve read that females can develop non fertile eggs without a male or mating. My concern is egg binding if she IS carrying eggs.

Blastoise

5 Year Member
I've had a female Russian tortoise lay several infertile eggs, four that I know of, without breeding. I got her in 2012 and I don't think I saw an egg until 2015. I'm not sure what causes egg binding, I'd be interested to hear from some of the breeders on here that may have dealt with egg binding. What causes it and when should you worry about it? Are there warning signs?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The fact the eggs are infertile doesn't necessarily mean the tortoise will be egg bound. As long as there's a suitable place for her to dig a nest, she will get rid of the eggs.

Skip K

Virginia
My son has our Redfoots at his place. He mentioned that the large female was walking the perimeter of the enclosure and then stopping at the same place and apparently digging with her back legs. I went over yesterday and added organic soil to create a deep area. I read about checking the abdomen for eggs, which I did...but do not have any practical experience with this...or if I even did it right. But did not feel anything. I don’t know if a female...will.. if the conditions are right ....even with no eggs present...go through the motions of preparing to lay eggs. Temps here do not permit being outside yet and am concerned about laying in a indoor enclosure or lack of feeling comfortable enough in a indoor enclosure ( am building a new outside enclosure but will not be ready till this coming weekend....or if I should have my son remove the other Redfoot from the enclosure

Last edited: