possible prolapse

MrBrown

So my tortoise has been happy and active, eating drinking and pooping all fine

Then today once it had eaten it started to poop, nothing unusual there as she often does it after eating I walked away. when I checked in on her about 15 mins later I saw a red sack type thing coming out I thought it might just be a very strange poop so I came back 5 mins later but it has not detatched and I am starting to think something is wrong.

I got her out and gave her a quick bath and took this photo quickly
http://postimg.org/image/q6j934rxj/
it looks much bigger from this angle.

Does anyone know what this is or have any advice please.

just to add she is just under 1 year old

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
I'd soak him for a bit,one of the experts will be here soon ,but don't panic i have seen much worse than that on here and its been fine

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Soak him in sugar water and call a vet and get him in. That's what I would do. Let's see what other would say.

MrBrown

she is currently soaking in luke warm normal water, trying to find a local vet that deals with tortoises

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Keep it clean and don't let it dry out. The sugar water soak will some times help the swelling to go down, so it will go back in. This is something where getting to the Vet ASAP makes a huge difference. Then once she has it back in, you need to be sure to figure out why it happened. Normally it is due to straining so check for worms, check out her diet, and such.

MrBrown

Keep it clean and don't let it dry out. The sugar water soak will some times help the swelling to go down, so it will go back in. This is something where getting to the Vet ASAP makes a huge difference. Then once she has it back in, you need to be sure to figure out why it happened. Normally it is due to straining so check for worms, check out her diet, and such.

ok now trying a sugar water soak, cant get her to the vets until morning, its going to be a long 12 hours until I can even ring them

Where do you live
Just outside Blackpool UK

MrBrown

with all my worrying I forgot to say thank you to you all for your advice so far :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You must keep it damp and clean. If it dries out without retracting it may need to be amputated.

MrBrown

You must keep it damp and clean. If it dries out without retracting it may need to be amputated.

:eek: how is that even possible, isn't is needed??

I am dripping luke warm water on it every hour and letting her have a soak every 2 hours, this will be the longest night I have had in a while

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just leave the tortoise sitting in water. It won't hurt her. Much easier that way. Just a small bin with an inch or so of water in the bottom. The longer this stays out, the harder it is for the vet to push it back inside. So as soon as you can get her to the vet, do it.

If you use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), just position it over one end of the bin and leave the tortoise there, in the water, overnight. Just make sure you're not cooking her with the CHE

Here's another option using plastic food wrap:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/prolapse.htm