possible prolapse

MrBrown

Just leave the tortoise sitting in water. It won't hurt her. Much easier that way. Just a small bin with an inch or so of water in the bottom. The longer this stays out, the harder it is for the vet to push it back inside. So as soon as you can get her to the vet, do it.

If you use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), just position it over one end of the bin and leave the tortoise there, in the water, overnight. Just make sure you're not cooking her with the CHE

Here's another option using plastic food wrap:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/prolapse.htm

i saw the food wrap and dont really want to do that in case I hurt her, as for the water fab idea I shall see if I can keep the water warm with the heat bulb so she doesn't get cold then I can sleep :D

MrBrown

I took her to the vets 20 mins ago, he says it not bad he just has to shrink it a little and pop it back in and put a little suture in and that should be all thats needed. he is giving me a call this afternoon to update me

MrBrown

just had a phone call, it has shrunk but not enough so they are leaving it in the hypertonic overnight

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
So glad this is in the vet's hands now.

It's pretty important for you and the vet to try to figure out why this happened. It's one thing to shrink it and get it put back inside, but if you don't figure out why it happened, it may just happen again. Here are some ideas for you - constipation, bladder stones. Both of these can be caused by dehydration.

MrBrown

unfortunately it has not shrunk enough and now they are going to try anaesthetize her and get it back in, they say its risky because she is so small :(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( *fingers crossed* and wishes going over the air and sea to you and your little one.

MoonRX

Indonesia
I have experienced it back a long time ago..
Mine happened with my indian star tortoises..

I used "bioplacenton gel" 3-4 times daily. By using cotton bud, lubricate thoroughly all over those prolaps..(to give humidity and prevent infection).

Use soft bedding (i used soft mat), and maintain the humidity of ur enclosure.

Give shallow water dish..

check the temperature, dont let it be too hot.

Modify its diet with high fiber, low protein diet.. (dont add calcium for the meantime).

sugar solution can be used, but be aware of ants hazard..

Hope my experience can help u..

MrBrown

sorry I completely forgot to update you. They managed to get it back in and put a stitch. she came home about 10 days ago and has only been nibbling on food and not taking a lot of water that I have noticed. she has an appointment to have the stitch out tomorrow but after checking her again tonight, her prolapse seems to have popped out again :(

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I'm so sorry. Hope things work out. Did they figure out why she prolapse the first time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, unless you figure out the "why" and fix the 'why' it's just going to keep happening.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe this will help:

Does the tortoise poop?

Have you had an X-ray?

Has the tortoise ever been de-wormed?

MoonRX

Indonesia
Anything that cause constipation or blockage in the intestine might cause the prolapse to happen, beside the genetic weakness of the muscle and the intestine itself.. CMIIW :D