Possible Shell rot?

Location (City and/or State)
New York
A Hermann's I obtained well over a year ago has always had somewhat of an overhang(think overbite) from one of his bottom scuts to another. Never really gave it much thought because he has always been active/healthy. A few days ago I discovered that the overhang has broken off. Was wondering if this looks like shell rot/what could have caused this overhang. 20190401_165703.jpeg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's some sort of damage that is healing.
But it looks more like a burned area than shell rot.
The damage looks old.
Are you using some sort of heating "rock"?
Just curious.
My reaction would be to put a dab of antibiotic cream on it and then monitor it for a few weeks. But my opinion is that it should be fine and continue to heal all by itself.
This would not alarm me.

New York
That's some sort of damage that is healing.
But it looks more like a burned area than shell rot.
The damage looks old.
Are you using some sort of heating "rock"?
Just curious.
My reaction would be to put a dab of antibiotic cream on it and then monitor it for a few weeks. But my opinion is that it should be fine and continue to heal all by itself.
This would not alarm me.
Basking lamp and outdoor summers, was kept outdoors by previous owner also. Mostly concerned about the blotchy brown near the wound being rot. Also applied antibiotic when found. Old injurie while with previous owner makes sense due to always having the overhang.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Basking lamp and outdoor summers, was kept outdoors by previous owner also. Mostly concerned about the blotchy brown near the wound being rot. Also applied antibiotic when found. Old injurie while with previous owner makes sense due to always having the overhang.
Keep an eye on it.
IF the area stays the same size or gets smaller. IF it isn't soft and IF there is no foul smell. I'd feel good about it and not worry.
If it is soft. It could be a fungal issue and would then require cleaning and an anti fungal.....like athletes foot cream.
But I've had a LOT of animals with shell fungus. And I don't think it's what you have here.

New York
Keep an eye on it.
IF the area stays the same size or gets smaller. IF it isn't soft and IF there is no foul smell. I'd feel good about it and not worry.
If it is soft. It could be a fungal issue and would then require cleaning and an anti fungal.....like athletes foot cream.
But I've had a LOT of animals with shell fungus. And I don't think it's what you have here.
Thank you for the help.