possible skin, eyes and shell problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnschmidt

5 Year Member
Hi
I have two russian tortoises, a larger female and a smaller male.
Im suspecting they might have some health problems that I need your opinions about. First of all, the females eyes looks abit weird in comparison to the males. They looks abit small, almost to small for their eye sockets. (see picture) I dont know, it might sound stupid, but my worries are that ive overfed her, so that she have grown to fast. She is very active, and always hungry and i havent hibernated her for many years now. Im also worried that her shell isnt growing properly. There are white gaps between the scutes which i suspect is a symptom of to fast growth (see picture).

Another thing im worried about concerns both the male and the female, they both shed a lot of skin. They often have dead skin hanging from their legs.

I keep my tortoises in a 2 square meter box with 30 cm high edges filled with 50% soil and 50% sand. They have a basking lamp for heat, and for light i use this one "http://www.odlingsbutiken.se/belysning-cfl/112-cfl-lag-energi-200w-bla.html" (I couldnt find any product link in english, but perhaps you see what kind of lamp it is anyway). It is a 200w CFL lamp for growing plants. I suspect that this lamp is not very good to use, so im planning to replace it for something more suitable. I Feed them with romane lettuce during the winter month and mostly dandelions and clover during the summer. I always dust the food with calcium supplements.

Attachments

• eye.jpg
    eye.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 3
  • shell.jpg
    shell.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 3
  • leg.jpg
    leg.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.