Possibly finding a new home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbandjilly

Hey guys. I got a Russian Tortoise kind of impulsively because a friend needed someone to take him. As much as I would love to create an outdoor space for him, (and I have the room outside), I'm going back to school and he either comes with me or finds a new home, according to my parents. I know right now that his enclosure is much too small, and he needs way more space than he's in right now. I let him out for a few hours every day before and after work because I can't bear to see him cooped up. I'm around the Baltimore area in Maryland, and if there's anyone that can give him a fantastic outdoor home with everything he needs, I'd really let him go. I love him but I feel so guilty for keeping him in subpar living space.

pbandjilly

I'm in the Baltimore-Annapolis area of Baltimore, and I'm willing to drive.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
Hey guys. I got a Russian Tortoise kind of impulsively because a friend needed someone to take him. As much as I would love to create an outdoor space for him, (and I have the room outside), I'm going back to school and he either comes with me or finds a new home, according to my parents. I know right now that his enclosure is much too small, and he needs way more space than he's in right now. I let him out for a few hours every day before and after work because I can't bear to see him cooped up. I'm around the Baltimore area in Maryland, and if there's anyone that can give him a fantastic outdoor home with everything he needs, I'd really let him go. I love him but I feel so guilty for keeping him in subpar living space.

first up, hats off to you for doing the right thing :). im actually trying to get a russian tort for the same reason... but its a rescue and not a re home.

dont feel bad, alot of people would just have released it into the wild and probably result in death:(.

unfortunately im in Glasgow or would jump at the chance! post up a few pics of the little one if you can, im sure someone will be more than happy to adopt, and even email pics to show you how well they are carrying for it.

best of luck and on behalf of your tort, thank you for doing the best by them :)

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Someone will probably be in your area and can provide him a good home! I would Take him if you were close to me. Also, someone should move this to the "adoptions" section.

pbandjilly

I put it in the adoptions section too but I wanted to make sure people see it. I should note that I'm willing to drive him. I just feel bad for the little guy and I really don't have the time for him. :(

pbandjilly

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440177929.428123.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440177966.775333.jpg.

I don't have many pictures. The glass enclose he is in is when I'm not home. Otherwise he's outside or roaming around my room. I make sure to feed him collard greens and maybe kale and romaine lettuce, but I don't have access to weeds right now.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I hope a long standing well known member can help. That way you may get to see pics and keep an eye on how he is doing.
Well done for trying to do the right thing for the tort.

pbandjilly

Hello, i know I've posted before but I want to get it out there. I have a 2-4 year old Russian tortoise that I took in for a friend for the end of summer. I love having him around, and he's a little gem. But I am a college student going back to school and I have to take him with me until I find a new home, which means he won't have the space or freedom he needs. If you live in the Baltimore area, and you have other torts or experience with them, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know and message me. I'm really not asking anything for him. As much as I love him already, I can't give him the best life. I just want to do what's best.

mlmkiniry

Hi there! I am totally interested And in Southern Baltimore! Does he come with any supplies? If not, that is absolutely fine!

mlmkiniry

Hello, i know I've posted before but I want to get it out there. I have a 2-4 year old Russian tortoise that I took in for a friend for the end of summer. I love having him around, and he's a little gem. But I am a college student going back to school and I have to take him with me until I find a new home, which means he won't have the space or freedom he needs. If you live in the Baltimore area, and you have other torts or experience with them, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know and message me. I'm really not asking anything for him. As much as I love him already, I can't give him the best life. I just want to do what's best.
Please let me adopt him!

pbandjilly

Hi! I'm happy to see some interest. I do have supplies that I won't be needing if I give the little guy up, but the best thing is an outdoor enclosure. Would you be able to do that? Do you have other torts?

mlmkiniry

Hi! I'm happy to see some interest. I do have supplies that I won't be needing if I give the little guy up, but the best thing is an outdoor enclosure. Would you be able to do that? Do you have other torts?
He could have a wonderful porch enclosure (I am an apartment dweller for the next year while we build a house, then he will have a huge yard to explore and an indoor winter spot). I do not have another tort, but do have chinchillas, hedgehogs, salt water reef aquariums, and a special needs small dog.

mlmkiniry

I am very hesitant about the dog, because dogs are known to kill torts.
She is ten pounds and blind. The enclosure will be constructed in such a way so that she cannot even get near him. After all, she has peacefully coexisted with two chinchillas and two hedgehogs. Frankly, her primary habitat is the couch. To say that she is a low energy dog is an understatement!

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
She is ten pounds and blind. The enclosure will be constructed in such a way so that she cannot even get near him. After all, she has peacefully coexisted with two chinchillas and two hedgehogs. Frankly, her primary habitat is the couch. To say that she is a low energy dog is an understatement!

An enclosure completely enclosed from the dog is a very good idea. I'm unsure if her blindness would stop her from deciding to chew on the tort, though, and her energy levels definitely have no bearing on it.

mlmkiniry

An enclosure completely enclosed from the dog is a very good idea. I'm unsure if her blindness would stop her from deciding to chew on the tort, though, and her energy levels definitely have no bearing on it.
While I understand your concern, I know my dog. She has been around chinchillas and hedgehogs who have been roaming around the house and, while finding them interesting, has decided that her couch and subsequent napping was more interesting. Thank you for your concern though.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
While I understand your concern, I know my dog. She has been around chinchillas and hedgehogs who have been roaming around the house and, while finding them interesting, has decided that her couch and subsequent napping was more interesting. Thank you for your concern though.

And while I understand that you know your dog, that doesn't change a dog's natural instincts. There have been many many MANY a thread where a dog and a tort were living perfectly fine together for years and years. Then one day the owner comes home to a dead or severely injured tort because the dog started chewing on the interesting moving rock/chew toy they never paid much attention to before. I'll link you to some.

Status
Not open for further replies.