possibly sick Herman

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbly

5 Year Member
Hello my mum has a 6year old Herman tortoise. Since coming out of hibernation she has not eaten much therefore no poo. Also her eyes are now not opening! We are very worried and will be taking her to the reptile vet but would just like to know of possible things it could be?? Any help would be amazing and if you need anymore info just ask :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Eyes are a good indicator of a tortoise's health, them not opening could be something as simple as low humidity, or more serious like a respiratory infection. Considering he is not eating I would lean towards something more serious, how is his activity levels? Is he indoors or outdoors? what are his temps like? I would schedule a vet visit just to be safe.

dumbly

5 Year Member
She is moving around but still doesn't open her eyes. Can we spray her with water to help with humidity? Or will that not be good because of the heat of the lamp? Tryin to get her to the vet on Monday but got to see if the reptile vet is in. What is the best temp?

dumbly

5 Year Member
She is mainly indoors but when its a nice day she goes outside on the grass in the sun. She's moving around but not opening her eyes. We have been bathing her everyday. What things can we do to help with humidity? What are the best day and night temps?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I am gonna guess and say you are in the UK right? what type of substrate do you use for him?

dumbly

5 Year Member
Yes in England up north so it is still quite chilly. Its kind of small woodchip stuff i don't the name of it sorry. Would sand and soil be better for the humidity? She used to have that and free roam of the house but i moved in with 2 small children n having a roaming tortoise wasn't safe for her anymore so she is in a long tortoise box now

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I avoid sand due to possible impaction issues. Some good substrate ideas are coconut fiber ( AKA bed a beast) and lots of people use cypress mulch, either one of those with a soil 50/50 mix should be good and help with humidity. What is his diet like?

dumbly

5 Year Member
Most leafy veg lettuce broccoli dandelions very occasionally apple. Does this sound right? I will try to get some different stuff n mix it with soil see if it makes her happier.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Since you live in the UK you can buy rocket salad, it is called spring mix here in the states, unless you have a lot of different plants growing that is probably the best option.

dumbly

5 Year Member
I will get some tomorrow see if she likes it. Thank you for your help will have to wait n see what the vet says

dumbly

5 Year Member
Just to let u no. While soaking today she drank water n then opened her eyes. I nearly cried lets hope this is her gettin better

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello from down south :) If it's any consolation, the weather is rubbish in Kent too.

Your tort needs warmth and water... and a trip to the vet.

He needs a good soak of 30 minutes in warm water, 2-3 times a day. (Healthy ones 20 minutes once a day is plenty)

Try to get hold of some Reptoboost to add to his soaking water... I always use this when Joe is coming out of hibernation and it's good for helping sick tortoises to rehydrate too. You should be able to get it from a pet shop or maybe the vet. You can get it online very easily from Amazon, ebay and the like.

My soaking tips are:
1. Do the first soak first thing before your tort has warmed up properly to reduce escape attempts.
2. Use a high sided bowl or box so your tort can't see out
3. Use enough warm (not hot) water to just come over your tort's plastron (undershell). Get the temperature right and your not-warmed-up tort is more likely to lounge and absorb the heat.
4. Soak for a good 30 minutes. Don't worry if you don't see him drink; torts can absorb water through the skin. The length of soak is important.
5. Your tort may wee and/or poop in the water - it's more likely to concern you than him. You can change the water if it's truly disgusting. Don't worry if your tort eats his poop; it's said to improve gut flora!
6. Feed straight after the soak. Joe is always hungriest straight after his.

As for warmth, please check the temperatures in 4 important places:
1. under the basking lamp (should be 35C)
2. Warm end
3. Cool end
4. Overnight

While your tort is sick, I'd bump the temperatures up a little and don't let it go below 25C anywhere day or night.

dumbly

5 Year Member
Thank you. We've been soaking dumbly twice a day for 15-20mins. I will squeeze a third soak in from now on. So far she has opened her eyes bit n drank while in soak but not eaten anything as yet. The weather is supposed to be nice this week so hopefully be nice enough for her to go outside. Im ringing the vet in the morn n hopefully get her seen the week.

dumbly

5 Year Member
Update. Dumbledore passed away yesterday morning. We are all very sad. Thank u for your advice.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
So sorry to hear that. My condolences.

Status
Not open for further replies.